We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooter/ Moped Licence in Skiathos

Ottawa, Ontario...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Scooter/ Moped Licence in Skiathos

What type of licence do you require to drive a scooter/moped in Skiathos?

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Scooter/ Moped Licence in Skiathos

hi wales4you, The bus can get you to most of the beaches! some may require a little bit of "shankspony" but the scenery is usually worth it!!!!

west mids
Level Contributor
497 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Scooter/ Moped Licence in Skiathos

only know about uk Elias but was saying i wonder if you are covered medically by your insurance if you were unfortunate enough to get injured your licence now is really european so whether or not the same laws apply i dont know didnt mean to cause any confusion sorry

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Scooter/ Moped Licence in Skiathos

Thanks duncanboing, your travel insurance doesn't cover you as all holiday companies advise against hiring a scooter but its something we've always done and enjoyed. Last couple of years, we've used the bus and had a scooter for just a couple of days.

Marion

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,637 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Scooter/ Moped Licence in Skiathos

If your travel insurance does not cover you, then find one that does.

If you come off you may have to go to Volos hospital on the mainland. They will require payment which under a planned new law will be 2x as expensive as that for someone not resident.

Likewise you may need to get home again, and this will require payment too.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,708 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Scooter/ Moped Licence in Skiathos

<<If your travel insurance does not cover you, then find one that does.>>

Exactly.

<<They will require payment which under a planned new law will be 2x as expensive as that for someone not resident.>>

Is this a public hospital? and if so, how does this fit in with the EHIC card? I've only ever had to visit the public hospital in Kos, had to pay for medicines but not treatment.

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,637 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Scooter/ Moped Licence in Skiathos

Yes its the public hospital in our area. Its 60 miles and a ferry ride away

To get there the patient or his representative has to purchase a ferry ticket.

The EHIC card covers basic treatment, not the medication, and scans which are undertaken at a private clinic. If the hospital does not have the medication you have to find someone to go and get it from somewhere else for you. All medication has to be paid for.

E111 does not cover medical aids - crutches limb supports etc, they are purchased from the shop opposite the hospital.

24 hour nursing care requires a private nurse, and in reality is 21 hours in every 24 and is paid for by the patient or his representative.

Should you need blood, then relations, friends have to go to A&E and donate for your account. Its what happens here and ensures they do not run out.

If you need to be repatriated E111 does not cover costs of this at all.

I have experience at Volos hospital, University Hospital of Larisa and the AHEPA in Thessaloniki, helping Brits in the last year in this situation.

Most common statements - "No one told me this" and "The reps not interested"

Best travel insurance assistance and response that I have seen, bought over the counter in Tesco. As always check the small print, But this covered out of pocket expenses, medical aids, hotel accomodation, 24/7 nursing and a medivac repatriation by air ambulance from Volos airport to Manchester.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,708 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Scooter/ Moped Licence in Skiathos

SL1, rest assured I do have cover and wouldn't dream of travelling without it!

I am shocked and surprised at your comment about the blood supply:

<<Should you need blood, then relations, friends have to go to A&E and donate for your account. Its what happens here and ensures they do not run out.>>

I worked for the English Blood Service for 38 years, and I always thought that although in Greece (as in many other countries)relatives' donations are often a large part of the donor database, I assumed that anyone in need would get the blood or blood products they require. I understand that as a Mediterranean population Greece has a natural shortfall due to endemic thalassaemia, but are things really that bad? I have also recently heard about problems with non-payment to the Swiss red cross for blood received.

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,637 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Scooter/ Moped Licence in Skiathos

I think it's a great system. I have been past the unit late at night, and the beds are full with people donating blood. What happens here if the worst happens is that your relations/friends are approached after the treatment.

It is explained that the people of Greece have aided your relation with >2< units and you have a moral obligation, to replace this, as someone else is in need.

What happens is that like UK you donate blood, but here your family has an account number. So for example Dimitri has 20 units donated. Someone uses 6 and credits are debited. Friends relations go straight to the hospital to credit the family account.

If a friend gets sick, Greeks will ask very searching questions about the health of the patient. Then offer you the best gift of all. Credits from their family account to you.You tell the doctor their family name father's name town and account number and the blood bank do the rest. They can donate 2 account units per year.

I told as many of the ex-pats here as I could. Majority of responses not repeatable, but others went and opened accounts with the visiting unit here.

Likewise in Volos explained this to people who did not understand the process. One chap said to me "they sent me down to the blood bank and told me to give blood its ridiculous in the UK it's free. Yes I said but where does it come from" ...

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,708 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Scooter/ Moped Licence in Skiathos

<<your relations/friends are approached after the treatment.>>

Thanks for that, SL1. The whole system does seem to work because of the strong family ties in Greece (unlike the UK), but I suppose the downside is that people don't freely donate without any trigger point, like they would in the UK. But declining donor databases are a big problem in many countries.

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,637 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Scooter/ Moped Licence in Skiathos

I was surprised at how good the people are responding to assist friends and family. I was reading this article a little while ago

guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/27/greece-blam…

I seem to remember there was an article saying the German companies had suspended deliveries of a cancer drug before Christmas. Yesterday I spent €55 on medication, at least €32.50 of which will probably never be refunded to me by the state - despite me having all the paperwork ...

Get answers to your questions about Skiathos Town