We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh Fish

Durham
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Fresh Fish

My good lady loves fresh fish with the emphasis being on fresh.

Can anyone give any recomendations in the town or harbour area ?

Thanks, Gary.

Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fresh Fish

Hi Gary,

Mrs Whicker answered a post about this a few weeks ago. See if this link works.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189499-i809-k53…

Hope you find a good one!

London, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fresh Fish

Gary,

The harbour outlet Mrs Whicker mentions in her link is almost certainly Mourago fish taverna, or more correctly i think is "ouzeria". It is next to or by Fresh bar towards the bus terminus. Opens all year, it's a local Skiathan enterprise just like Kabourelias. Not as pretty location-wise as the latter IMHO but very much the real McCoy.

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fresh Fish

Hi again, the taverna at the end of the old harbour that I mentioned in the link is near to Jimmy's bar, it is the last taverna on the harbour but I don't know the name of it.

You are spot on almaterrace Mourago is near to Cafe Fresh.

The thing with fresh fish is that in some places you are charged by the kilo I'm thinking of Limanaki or Asprolithos for example but some of the smaller tavernas or as almaterrace said ouzerias charge much less for fresh local fish. I will try to get the name of the one I usually have because it is delicious and is usually charged at around €12-13. In one establishment I was charged over €60 for sea bream .. I didn't repeat the experience :)

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fresh Fish

If it is of any help to you I think the fish I have is Barbounia.

Durham
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fresh Fish

Thanks I will make sure we go to that place along the new harbour. Tbh we've been meaning to go in and now we will.

Thanks.

wigan
Level Contributor
846 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fresh Fish

Hi Gary

Try Amfiliki up near the medical centre in town. I,m sure someone told us the owner has his own fishing boat. Only discovered this place last year and was well impressed. Family run (you actually walk through part of their home to get to it) and the food was excellent with amazing views over the bay towards Vassilias and Tsougria. Would recommend booking if you want a cliff-edge balcony table.

Tim

Durham
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fresh Fish

Cheers Tim, I'll have a look for that one.

Gary

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,822 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fresh Fish

Barbounia is a sweet tasting and cheaper version of Red Mullet. Served either Fried or Grilled. One of the best places to have this is Taverna O'Batis over the fish harbour.

I am a fan of Kabourelia, which is in the old harbour opposite the torpedo. Their fish platter is a relatively cheap way of exploring, just about everything on offer.

Durham
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fresh Fish

Thanks for that SL.

Will try these two also.

Gary

10. Re: Fresh Fish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, June 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Skiathos Town