We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking fines in Skiathos town - watch out

Which Skiathos Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Parking fines in Skiathos town - watch out

The other night I parked in a spot vacated by another car in the port. When I returned I found a pink ticket on the windscreen all in Greek with no translation - the only familiar figures being €80. There were no signs whatsoever that parking was prohibited. My villa owner very kindly helped me settle this.

Tonight I parked in a clearly designated parking zone in the port. However, when we returned to the car there was another pink ticket on the windscreen. Another €80 - which is reduced to €40 if you pay within 10 days - I only discovered this when settling the previous ticket. Again, there were no signs that parking was restricted. Something untoward is going on here with the port authority who must see this as easy income. Does anyone have experience of dealing with parking tickets in Skiathos who can advise?

This is certainly leaving a very nasty taste, is quite shocking and is ruining my first time experience here in Skiathos. They provide no communication about parking restrictions and then hit you with perpetual fines.

Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking fines in Skiathos town - watch out

Hi We have just come back fortunatley we didn't get a parking ticket but we did park in the road by the bus stop/along towards the airport it was very confusing as the signs indicated no parking but everyone was so we did but I was very worried that we might get a ticket on our return. sorry you experienced this on your first trip as this was also our first time.

Lyn

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking fines in Skiathos town - watch out

Just wondering where you parked ?

In the port (On the harbour) Port control will issue a ticket. Strict controls.

In front of the tavernas by the yachts - strict controls - Its taxi and coaches only on the water side. Taverna side the businesses have licences - mainly car and motorcycle hire. Port control will issue a ticket if a ferry is due.

Near the bus station - there are issues with obstruction - municipality police may issue a ticket or remove the vehicle.

The taverna area before club strip is closed each evening.

The only free municipality car parking behind the Alkyon hotel and clearly signposted.

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking fines in Skiathos town - watch out

Thanks for your response. The first eveninlg's parking ticket we parked yacht side. This evening we parked in in front of the Alkyon - both times we took places vacated be leaving cars.

The point I am making is we could see no discernable signs that parking was prohibited. This is really unacceptable.

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking fines in Skiathos town - watch out

Have to agree - There is an issue where Carnayo have replaced the parking area by the sea - with flower pots. Cars are still parking here causing an obstruction, and narrowing the width of the road - is this where you parked ?

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking fines in Skiathos town - watch out

Yes, that is exactly where I parked. I saw no sign whatsoever prohibiting parking.

I have also found that to settle these tickets, you first go to the port authority above the Eurobank, they then send you to pay it at the Bank of Greece in Papadiamantis, you then have to return to the port authority to get it stamped. There is no other way to pay it. This is insane. I can't see too many tourists going through this to pay these fines. Is this a deliberate ploy to jack up the fine.

Conclusion. Either don't hire a car in Skiathos (stick to the bus route) or if you do keep out of the town. Otherwise I suggest holidaying elsewhere - hopefully where there is better signposting.

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking fines in Skiathos town - watch out

OK - There were signs at the start of the season, requesting 'No Parking wef 23rd May ' Then the Carnayo made it a planted off area. It would seem that they are/were going to use it as a seated area like they did 2 years ago. They pay a licence to do so - so they can do with it what they wish.

If you park there then technically you are restricting the width of the road and an easy target for the port police. I am advised the port police are ticketing the area nightly around the time of the last ferry.

The area in front of the yachts is 'coaches only' and there is a sign to that effect. Hire cars are an easy target for the guys with whistles.

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking fines in Skiathos town - watch out

Thanks - your responses have been very helpful particularly the clarification that parking iin the town s only allowed behind the Alkyon.

As mentioned previously, there is very little in the way of signposting. Even on the New Port road there is no sign in English other than to say "except delivery vehicles". It then gives times during the day. On our first night, many cars were parked there. I now know thanks to your posting here, this is never allowed.

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking fines in Skiathos town - watch out

There is plenty of car parking in skiathos town with no restrictions. Parking at the top of the town and walking down is very nice or as you pointed out near the Alkyon hotel.

The front strip is restricted from May. Your car hire company and tour operator should of made you aware of this.

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking fines in Skiathos town - watch out

I met another couple yesterday who parked outside Carnayo, It cost them €40 too. Last night the port was very busy (We have six ferries, a cat and a dolphin call in quick succession) and two port police were ticketing cars that were double parked near the taxi rank.

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking fines in Skiathos town - watch out

There is nothing wrong in having parking restrictions - they are often required. But surely they do need to be signposted and communicated.

It appears that in skiathos you only get to know about these restrictions if you have spent considerable time in Skiathos or have been ticketed. When I now walk past the cars parked opposite Carnayo by the flower pots, most of the cars are being ticketed. And still they don't have a clear "no parking" sign. This is crazy.

Get answers to your questions about Skiathos Town