We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expense

Which Skiathos Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Anglesey
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Expense

Did you notice how many visitord from the UK commented on the prices here?

We found the food was excellent and the beaches great, especislly Troulos.

However after 40 years this is our last holiday to Greece because of the horrendous prices. Very sad as we have had some wonderful times, but it seems the UK taxpayer is paying for Greece's loan.

Going out and returning our charter flight was not full.

All the British we spoke to said they would not be returning because of the cost.

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
483 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Expense

My husband works around the Sporades, mainly on Skopelos, but he was over in Skiathos last week and said he couldn't believe the increase in prices. He walked out of one place when he saw how much they were charging just for a simple fruit salad. Prices have gone up everywhere but even compared to Skopelos, Skiathos prices seem to be high.

Durham
Level Contributor
1,619 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Expense

Got back 2 weeks ago and didn't notice any price hikes compared to the previous year.

In fact spent slightly less this time.

Good Luck, Gary

Berkshire
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Expense

WE found this year particularly expensive in Skiathos, spending over £100 a day, however we were in a large group, so not easy to manage the spending.

I have to say though that the prices to me seemed to be very much the same as the last two years, except for one or two small increases, for boats, bus and taxis, and supermarket prices, particularly the wine!

We shall go back, but as pensioners in the future so we will have to manage our budget. we shall just cater for ourselves more in an evening. Nothing would prevent me from my yearly holiday in beautiful Skaithos.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
383 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Expense

we went to ibiza this year after holidaying in greece for the last few years and it was a lot more expensive to eat and drink out!! it's greece every time for me especialy skiathos!!!!!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
159 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Expense

I suppose it depends on where you stay. If you stay in Skiathos Town, the Tavernas are more expensive but if you stay out of town they are so much cheaper. It is different with the supermarkets though, if you stay in town they are cheaper but out of town they are more expensive. Prices haven't increased this year in the Tavernas in Ag Paraskevi, we actually spent less over 2 weeks this year than we did last year. If you only stay in Skiathos Town then you will think it is expensive, get out of town and it really isn't.

Melton Mowbray
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Expense

We've just returned from our second holiday this year on Skopelos. Prices in the supermarket were more expensive in the supermarket for cheese, bread and alchol (in line with british prices to be honest.) Eating out was the sameish as last year but the British pound didn't buy as many Euros.

However the petrol prices were a bit eye watering.

The first week it was 1.75 euros for a litre of unleaded. This went up on week 2 to 1.86 euros. Fortunately it is a small island!

The island was as beautiful as ever, but I would say visitor numbers were down around a third. Our flight back was not full and fortunately we didn't have to stop at Thessalonika to refuel (that normally adds 1.5 hours to the return journey.

Kastani beach has gone very hip. Best sun loungers around and full of beautiful people posing, Milia next door is much quieter although the taverna on the beach is still crap.

And poor Panormous> The far end of the beach (where the bulk of the spikey sea urchins live) is a throbbing, trendy, loud music den. We only ate at the taverna there once as we couldn't stand the electro music.

We are looking to croatia next year, hopefully our money will go a bit further.

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,554 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Expense

The change in the beaches is due to the wash from the Nel Lines fast ferries operating offshore. Apparently they have been asked to slow down, but the wash is affecting the beaches when it arrives.

liverpool
Level Contributor
119 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Expense

We where in Skiathos 8 week ago and have just returned from Parga. Eating out in Parga was less for the 3 of us than it was for 2 in Skiathos.The shop prices about the same

19. Re: Expense

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, October 06, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Skiathos Town