We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swahili Beach Resort - B&B or full board?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Swahili Beach Resort - B&B or full board?

Hi all,

We are planning our first Safari/beach holiday, hopefully for September 2014 (2 adults). Doing some initial research, it does seem cheaper/easier to book a 2 week beach break through one of the package tour companies and then separately organise a safari to/from Mombasa for a few nights.

The Swahili Beach Resort looks beautiful, but the half board/full board options add quite a bit to the overall cost - and perhaps seems unnecessary when we're planning on being away for the hotel for 4 days on a tour (plus the first and last 'half days' when travelling)?

I can't seem to find any information on pricing for evening meals and drinks for the hotel, if we were to book on a B&B basis. We'd likely have a few soft drinks during the day and wine with an evening meal, but aren't massive drinkers and could get by without lunch or just a light snack most days.

Does anyone have any experience of the likely costs you could run up just in and around the hotel on the above basis - this would be very much appreciated in helping us to finalise plans.

Thanks!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swahili Beach Resort - B&B or full board?

Most beach hotels in Kenya tend to have buffet's for lunch and dinner. If there are al a carte options available they can be expensive. I would budget around Kshs 1500-2000 for a meal at Swahili Beach Hotel, Kshs 400-600 for a glass of wine, and Kshs 200 for a soft drink.

Diani has loads of great restaurants you can also go to. How much is the price difference between BB and HB per person per day?

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swahili Beach Resort - B&B or full board?

Going B&B isn't going to save you money. You'll end up spending more dining outside.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swahili Beach Resort - B&B or full board?

Hi both, thank you for the replies. It's an extra £730 for half board and £1430 for full board (working out about £35 and £70 extra per day each respectively for the time that we'd spend there). From the estimate of prices it sounds like we may well get up there in any event. Thanks.

Bruxelles
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swahili Beach Resort - B&B or full board?

Hi,

If I were you, I'd opt for HB. I've been to the Swahili Beach Resort in 2012, 2013 and lately in 2014, always on HB for a 2-weeks package, even though we left the hotel each time a couple of days for safaris.

You're lucky, I still have the bill of our "extras" during our stay in March 2014.

Cocktails: 800 - 900 KS

Glass of wine: 700 KS

Flute of champagne: 700 KS

Soft drinks (cokes and other sprites): 300 KS

Soda water: 250 KS

The dinner buffet (should you still opt for B&B) is 4.000KS, excl. drinks of course.

Swahili Beach Resort is beautiful and ideally located (opposite a Nakumat supermarket, ATM/bank).

Feel free to contact me for further info.

Kwaheri !

Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swahili Beach Resort - B&B or full board?

You could book the hotel on BB or HB and then enjoy some meals, drinks from the restaurants around the town. We have local restaurants like the Ali Barbour and the Fourty thieves, Leonardo's Restaurant, Sands at Nomad restaurants etc.

Welcome in Kenya and good luck in your search and booking

6. Re: Swahili Beach Resort - B&B or full board?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 23, 2015