We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amani Tiwi?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
618 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Amani Tiwi?

Hi all,

First time at Amani Tiwi Hotel for us, (we have been to North coast hotels/areas ),

Anyone been and have any info on the local area/bars/eateries/things to do etc....as we do like to get out and about and not sit in the hotel grounds all the time,

How far to dani centre ?

Any Info appreciated ;)

Devon uk
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amani Tiwi?

If you walk left along the beach you will find Ben's small beach restaurant, excellent fish and lobster, you have to order either early the day you want to eat or the day before as he buys food to order. Walk along the beach to the right and at low tide you can walk across the Congo river onto Diani beach where you will find loads of hotels where you welcome to eat. The bigger restaurants will send a car for you and take you back to the hotel after your meal, the guest relation desk at the hotel will book meals out on your behalf, Ali Barbours is built in in a cave with a blow hole, very atmospheric, good food at prices you would expect to pay at a mid priced restaurant here in the UK. You can get the hotel to book you taxis or PM and I can send you the number of the taxi guy we use. Lots of places to eat, talk to Pedro and Tracy at the Baraccda Dive School or the hotel staff if you need advice, we like: the African Pot the one on the Diani stretch for traditional Swahili food,Ushago's serves a wide range of foods, Leonardo's for Italian food and Ice Cream to die for, Rangoi, might have spelt this wrong, serves nothing but fantastic roast meats this places is very popular with local people and don't expect to much of the decor - it's plastic tables and chairs, concrete floors and not much else, my advice would be only eat here in the day. If you choose to eat out in the evening check what is happening at dinner time at the hotel first, it is worth being in the hotel to eat dinner on the evenings they are serving alfresco meals. 40 Thieves is worth having lunch at as it is right on Diani beach, as is The Blue Marlin. If you want to combine some Dolphin spotting, a bit of snorkelling and lunch at the Blue Marlin then you can book this as a day trip at the Baraccuda Dive School which is on the ATBR beach, this is an amazing day trip but of course they offer other trip options also. Have an fantastic trip, Amani Tiwi is an amazing hotel with the friendliest and most helpful staff, staying on Tiwi beach will very a very different experience, much quieter and more laid back and in my opinion the beachs are much better than the North Coast.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
618 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amani Tiwi?

Thats excellent Snugglepus Thanks.

I have PM'd you

Jevro

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amani Tiwi?

Just a fair warning so you can set your expectations right. As far as I know (I was there 6 months ago), apart from Ben's restaurant, there is no place within walking distance and you have to take a car. The Diani centre and the restaurants in that area, incl Forty Thieves bar (which is highly recommended), is almost half an hour away - with a car! In fact one of the things some visitors complain about is that the hotel feels a bit isolated. Having said that I do really recommend that you get out and explore in the area because there are some nice places around and we did feel the food was a bit limited at the hotel.

But we still very much enjoyed our stay and hope you will too!

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
618 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amani Tiwi?

Thanks for the info Kitikat,

J

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
618 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amani Tiwi?

Thanks for your help all,

Well we will be there tomorrow ....can't wait ,

Devon uk
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amani Tiwi?

Have a wonderful holiday, I will look forward to reading you views when you get back. Our daughter and her husband are on the same flight and will also be at ATBR - wishing you all an amazing holiday, we are very jealous and wish it was us, next year!,

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
618 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amani Tiwi?

Thanks,

This shimba hills lodge sounds appealing, may do this a few times to 'get away' , what would it cost roughly to hire Chombo /meal / few beers ?

Devon uk
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amani Tiwi?

aberdaresafarihotels.co.ke/shimba/… is the lodges web address, you can have a look. Expect to pay between £45 and £50 for the taxi (don't forget to confirm the price before you set out), the park fee for non residents is about 20USD for the day, with lunch costing about the same as an average meal here in the UK and the drinks costing slightly less than we would expect to pay here. Have a good trip.

9. Re: Amani Tiwi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 07, 2015