We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Season?

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
High Season?

I am thinking about a trip to Kenya/Tanzania as a getaway from our Canadian winter and as I look about I'm wondering if February is the "high season" there? When I do a search for hotels I already get the "no rooms available" message for my possible dates in Feb! And here I was thinking I was getting a good head start on my planning. Do you think if I wait I will be out of luck for any decent accommodations that wont break the bank?

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High Season?

January/February are surely the hotter months in Kenya for the inland areas. Not sure about the coast. I'm sure some of the experts can help you regarding seasonal rates.

I've also seen unavailable rooms for lodging in the typical park lodgings. What often happens is that the larger tour operators hold blocks of rooms, figuring they will sell them. Then they suddenly have availability 30 days out. I wouldn't want to travel and not have a reservation, but have you tried to call the lodging you are wishing to stay at? Sometimes you can have better success with that. I found it odd on my last trip that I was told the Serena Mountain Lodge outside Arusha was "basically full" for the night I was staying. I saw one other couple having dinner, and one solo guy at breakfast. So maybe everyone was hiding in their rooms :-)

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High Season?

Hi Laura, I'm no expert but if you have a budget I have seen comments on here previously that you are better off booking through a tour operator/travel agent (whether in country or at home) as to attempt to book direct you will probably incur the "rack rates" for rooms. As Laurena, says the lodges are probably "block booked" & only release spare capacity nearer the time.

The experts will probably suggest that you drop enquiries to various TOs with your proposed itinerary/lodges and see what costings you get back, and remember to compare like with like i.e. road with road, fly in with fly in

Oops sorry, not sure you wanted safari now..so as Laurena said why not contact the hotels directly

Good luck & have fun with your planning

Edited: 12:52 am, August 01, 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: High Season?

The high seasons are from July to September and December to February. I doubt you not getting accommodation for February!. Booking with local tour operators guarantees you the best service than going there direct, since in one time you will still need them for transport unless you are flying. Tour operators have better rates in hotels and you will find the being cheaper than even booking direct!!. If you still want do it your self, drop the program of your safari to the experts and they suggest the hotels for you. You can also contact tour operators to compare the prices.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High Season?

I wasn't sure from the OP if she is going on safari, since it was posted on the Diani Beach forums. As Wendy mentioned, if you do contact TO, be very specific what you want as far as budget, if you have ideas for lodgings, fly in or drive in. But be open to their suggestions. What I've found is that some will try to totally stear you in another direction, some might refuse to go where you are hoping to go, some won't even get back to you and then you will find the one or two good ones that actually "hear" what you are asking. Then you go with your best gut feeling. For me, it's all about their ability to listen to what you are requesting and good communication skills (although sometimes due to power outages or other circumstances they may take a little longer to get back to you than you are used to). Good luck.

Laurena

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High Season?

Thank you all for the replies. Yes I was planning on a 3 day safari as part of our holiday. I couldn't imagine going all the way to Africa and not doing one. My problem at the moment is I have no set dates as I am still waiting to confirm hubby's vaca schedule. As a general idea we are thinking, fly into Nairobi (stay a few days to recuperate)...overnight train to Mombasa (?? hubby's idea)..Safari (3days) and then relax by the beach for the last week....Southern Kenya or Zanzibar (that part is still up for debate)

6. Re: High Season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 03, 2014