We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iPad to Kenya and Baobab

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, England...
3 posts
Save Topic
iPad to Kenya and Baobab

Hi,

I'm travelling to Kenya for the first time in July and staying at the Baobab. I'm considering taking my iPad but wondered whether it was safe to do so. I wouldn't be taking it out and about with me, just the hotel grounds.

Also if anyone has used the laundry service at the Baobab could they tell me how much it costs as I'm trying to work out how many clothes to take, and obviously using the laundry service would reduce the clothes we need to take.

Thanks in advance,

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,936 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iPad to Kenya and Baobab

iPad is very safe to use in hotel grounds. When not using, lock it in the room safe.

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: iPad to Kenya and Baobab

Agree with RWA, it is safe. I carry mine with me everywhere :) I do not know if Baobab have a wi fi, most probably they do, check with them or your agent. However, if they do not and yours has 3G, you can buy a local micro sim and load some data (eg 1.5 GB is Kshs 1,000 only which is around 8 pounds), don't buy too much, you can always top up - you are not going to use it too much hopefully, you are on holiday with beautiful Indian Ocean before you!

Sorry, cannot help with the laundry question!

Larissa

Tijara Beach Botel

Newcastle, England...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: iPad to Kenya and Baobab

Thanks for the replies, that's great. I asked the Baobab directly about the laundy and they send me a price list which is really helpful.

Thanks again!

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iPad to Kenya and Baobab

Hi there OD

The Baobab does have Wifi but I think there is a charge (not sure what it is though as I have managed without for last two years)

I used the laundry last year, can't remember how much but it wasn't a lot...give me a little while and I'll fire up the laptop (instead of the iPad) and I'll find the email they sent me with the price list last year

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: iPad to Kenya and Baobab

the image of the laundry list is very faint and not sure if i can attach a pdf on here so I'll list out some of the main items - prices are in Ksh

mens...

dress shirt 160

sport shirt 150

pants & vest 120 each

socks 90

trousers 220

shorts 150

ladies...

skirts 200

blouses 160

dresses 240

bra & knickers120 each

shorts 150

"slacks" 240

I don't know if you're taking children too, but their prices are 60/75 for most items only dresses are 130

towels are 160

quick turnaround is 50% extra

ironing only 50% less

they were also doing an offer at that time - any items totalling 1000 Ksh and you got a 15% discount

obviously I don't know if these prices are still valid but it will give you a rough idea

Boston...
Level Contributor
817 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: iPad to Kenya and Baobab

bring a surge protector to use when charging your ipad

North York Moors...
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: iPad to Kenya and Baobab

Baobab charges about 2 euro for half an hour - your ipad will be perfectly safe , ours were , but the connection is temperamental .

Tewkesbury, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: iPad to Kenya and Baobab

we just got back form baobab, and quite a few people had ipads and even laptops, so you should be fine. we used the laundry service and was very pleased with it , handed the items in on the morning and got them back on the evening!, the prices wendy has listed are correct, and also if your total bill is 1000ksh or more you get a 15% discount,

9. Re: iPad to Kenya and Baobab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 02, 2014