We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

Preston, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

Hello,

My girlfriend and myself have just booked a 2 week holiday to kenya( very excited). We are going mid November this year, we are stopping at the Baobab hotel, diani beach and we have also paid to do the 3 night Ndogo safari. This is all a new adventure for us and any tips would be much appreciated. Anybody done the Ndogo safari? Is it any good? Can you book additional safaris while over there? Are they expensive and are they safe? Is the much to do round diani beach? Whats the weather going to be like in November as I hear its raining alot this time of year? Like I say just any handy tips for our 1st safari would be great. Thanks.........(is it November yet?........how about now???)

Oranje Safari
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Safaris, Day Trips
Tanke Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Safaris
Diani Travel and Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Tewkesbury, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

wendy

we were the same as it was our first time and found it easier and for "piece of mind", and we booked pilli pippa through thomsons and there was not much price difference when we checked with the company themselves, it seems to depend on the trip you want to book?!

if we come back again (which I'm sure we will) we would look at other company's as well as you also seem to get a better choice of trips as well as being cheaper! - thomsons didn't offer us much in the way of choice, though that could be because it is low season, the people we met that booked thru jt tours were more than happy with the price and service they got!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

we're thinking of doing this, in 2015, as a party of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) and i was wondering about visas and departure tax????? we'd be using our usual travel agent (thomson, as we've always had superb service with/from then) so is visas/visa fee and departure tax included or is that something we have to do seperately? this is going to be a once-in-a-lifetime-trip for us. we've been in africa once before (egypt, and going back this year), but not to kenya (altho i had the chance when i was 15 and i said no - have always regretted it). so any advice on visas/visa fees/departure tax info/advice will be great.

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

Hi Jenny

The visa has to be bought separately either before travelling or on arrival in Kenya (currently £30 from the Kenyan embassy in London, they can do postal service but use registered post there & back if you do, not so easy to do in person as you can only drop passport off in the mornings and pick it up in the afternoon a couple of days later. Not sure how much you pay on arrival but assume it would be approx £30 give or take depending on exchange rate.

The departure tax also has to be paid as an extra cost (apparently this is peculiar to Thomson from reading other TA reports) and can be paid in USD GBP or KES. Check out the FAQs on the main "Kenyan forum" I think regarding how much & how to pay. Someone has rectly come back too and posted about the costs in the various currencies. You should also bear in mind that there are, to the best of my knowledge, no child discounts on either the visa or departure tax costs.

Obviously if you're not travelling until 2015 you have plenty of time to research and check out the costs again nearer the time but as with most things costs never seem to go down...the only way you might save would be if the exchange rate moves favourably

Hope you have fun planning and enjoy the Baobab as much as we do :-)

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

Jenny, me again, just found the post about the departure tax

tripadvisor.co.uk/…49055339

$40 is currently approx £27

Hope that helps

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,654 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

Jenny,

the cost of a visa is fixed and is the same whether you get it before you come or on arrival. It has been fixed at £30 since July 2011. It doesn't vary with exchange rates, but that is not to say the Kenyan Government might not change it before you come in 2015.

The departure tax is normally included in your plane ticket but Thomson make their passengers pay it separately, it is fixed only in dollars and so does vary with exchange rates, you can pay it in dollars, pounds or shillings. If you pay in pounds they round it up to the next £5 as coins cannot be exchanged as foreign currency, so as $40 is currently around £27 they are asking for £30. Members who have recently paid it reported it was $40, £30 or 3,600/-

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

Hi Doff the only reason I mentioned the exchange rate for the cost of the visa was because I've only ever got it before arrival and wasn't sure if it was paid for in GBP or USD if bought on arrival in which case £30 would be approx $50

I hope I haven't confused the situation for you Jenny but you have plenty of time for the planning :-)

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

thanks for the advice and tips xx

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

Hi we are doing the bao bab and safari in November too - one question, can you pay for your drinks in the lodges on visa, or do they prefer cash - if cash, do they prefer US $ or local kenyan Shillings.

Also, can you use british electrical appliances direct into supply or do you need continental adaptors

thanks

Edited: 4:45 pm, October 21, 2013
Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

Hi Daz

Visa is perfectly fine, I'd take some shillings (or get it when you get to Kenya) for tips etc

Yes UK plugs are ok too, no adapters needed :-)

Mombasa Kenya
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Baobab hotel and Ndogo safari.

You can book extra safaris with local operators which are safe and cheaper.