We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya safe?

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kenya safe?

I have booked Kenya diani beach, at the end of June. I am worried that there is wars going on just now. Is it as bad as the uk are making out? Does it happen in the tourist parts of Kenya? Is it a bad idea to go this year. Can anyone help, I'd appreciate any advise thanks x

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenya safe?

Not sure what wars your refering to but rest assured there are no wars in Kenya and none in the tourist resorts. There is no reason why anyone should not holiday in Kenya right now.

Edited: 10:01 am, March 12, 2013
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenya safe?

It says something about politics and stuff. Saying that there is tourists attacks. This is what I have read over the net am from Scotland not America though.

Kenya, one of the most developed and economically robust nations in Africa, descended into ethnic violence after a disputed presidential election in 2007 and has struggled to regain stability ever since.

In March 2013, a new round of presidential elections were seen as a test of whether the country had put the bloodshed of the last vote behind it.

Raila Odinga, Kenya’s prime minister, a member of the Luo tribe who believes he was cheated out of victory in the 2007 election, faced Uhuru Kenyatta, a Kikuyu and the son of Kenya’s first president.

3. Re: Kenya safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:26 am, December 30, 2013
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenya safe?

d19

the elections have just been held and it is all over now. There were bits of sporadic violence but nothing like the large scale violence of 2007. The elections were relatively peaceful which all Kenyans are grateful for this time around.

Visiting Kenya in June should hold no problems what so ever for you or anyone. Kenyan holiday resorts are safer than Spanish one's!!!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenya safe?

Thanks a lot I can't wait to go :)

kenya nai
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kenya safe?

Well thanks for your concerns I can assure you that Kenya is very safe despite the recent elections we had it's very peacefully and everyone is back to work so feel free to come to Kenya and enjoy your holiday to the fullest

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kenya safe?

Booked for the end of June. Looking forward to it :)

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kenya safe?

Great to know that you are booked! I am curious to know what is being said about Kenya "out there". I look through a number of English newspapers daily and really not much written, so interesting to know what you are referring to. Elections took place on the4th of March and were peaceful, we had to wait till the end of the week to get the results. It is being contested, I believe a petition has been lodges with the Supreme court, will see what comes out of it. But as far as peace goes all is fine. I am very proud that Kenyans proved the world wrong - there have been a large number of journalists waiting to report the worst and it did not happen. Kenya have certainly matured!

You will enjoy your trip to this beautiful country and I assure it will crawl into your heart, so you will be returning!

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kenya safe?

I am currently in England. In the days before the election, they were showing old news from 2007/8. Afterwards they were very quiet!! A small piece in one paper I saw gave election results, but minimal comment.

Like Larissa, I also heard of journalists waiting to report bad news, but they didn't find it!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,392 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kenya safe?

I'm very happy that the peace has been maintained so far, though it has been tense at times, but the fat lady has not sung yet, I hope that the peace continues to be maintained through the difficult time that lies ahead . The coming weeks may be the most testing yet.