We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Choice Safari or local company?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
First Choice Safari or local company?

Hi Folks,

We have booked our beach stay at a lovely hotel in Diani Beach via thomsons/first choice. We want to do a 3 night/4 day safari tsavo east/west and amboseli.

I had wanted to book the safari myself but First Choice have offered this safari to us for £618, and thats for both of us!

I'm completely stuck as to what I should do and need to make a decision fast as its our honeymoon!

Any advice much appreciated folks

Lou

Oranje Safari
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Multi-day Tours
Tanke Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Safaris
Diani Travel and Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Choice Safari or local company?

I would always go for Local company because they are a bit cheap compare with the big firms,they always have good service in your own private van and lastly i always like to promote the locals. You should have mention the travelling date for better advice on booking.

Cheshire,England
Level Contributor
115 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Choice Safari or local company?

Definitely local company. When you see the full buses with people crammed in and looking decidedly squashed compared to your own bus and time to yourselves you won't regret it. Lots of fantastic local companies and you know the money is staying local.

nairobi
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First Choice Safari or local company?

That tour company has given you a good price that is if the period you will be traveling is from now until june excluding Easter period, from june the price goes up, my advise is book with them and you are soughted...so you will not have to hassle looking for a hotel and transportation by yourself yet its your honeymoon and you should be relaxing

have fun in your honeymoon

Edited: 2:13 am, February 22, 2013
Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Choice Safari or local company?

I agree with safarihunters. That price is incredibly good, unless you misread the offer.

Whereas the local companies are better, they will not come close to that price, probably that will be price person for the same trip.

Recheck your offer and if it's for two, then go for it. Otherwise if it's based on per person, you are better of going with a local company. You will get a private safari and you will not be required to vacate your room while out on safari.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Choice Safari or local company?

Thanks for the advice folks, really appreciated, I double checked and it is for both of us, in October.

Many Thanks

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Choice Safari or local company?

We're a party of 6 doing a 3 night / 4 day safari in July using Freddys .. we're paying a little extra for a Jeep (instead of a van), but still only paying £385 per person.

So £618 for two is not wide of the mark of what locals will charge going by our experience.

Ref "private safari" .... unless your going to pay a little extra for the whole of the van/jeep - I very much doubt a party of 2 will be the only ones in the vehicle. More likely you'd be joining some others; which in itself is not going to be a bad thing - I just would not expect the van/jeep to yourself, as I say - unless you pay a premium.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,429 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Choice Safari or local company?

There is a big difference in experience between taking a pre packaged tour (First Choice Safari) and organizing a private safari. On tour, you may not be able to linger to watch that mom and cubs, or linger over breakfast, or stay out all day if you want to. In a private safari, you can do all and any of these and not have to accommodate or interact with any other guests.

If you always planned on doing a group tour, then take the first Choice option if it ticks your boxes. If you were expecting time alone with your new spouse, you will need to do a private safari, and it may cost you for that opportunity. However, if you can afford it, I would recommend a private safari.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Choice Safari or local company?

If the price is for both, then go on and book.

preston, lancs
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First Choice Safari or local company?

Just double check this but usually if you book the safari with thomsons/firstchoice you have to vacate your hotel room, having to re pack your bags, where as if you book local you don't have this hassle,

10. Re: First Choice Safari or local company?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 24, 2014