We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safari money

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
safari money

im coming out in may and doing all inclusive but just wondered how much money to bring for drinks etc when on our 3 day safari as that will be full board, no drinks ?

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: safari money

This will depend on how much you drink and where you are staying on your safari :) You can always email your lodge/camp and ask them about their prices.

Look at beers at around Kshs 350, bottled water 250, soft drinks 150, shot of spirit from 250 onwards, glass of wine 300, juice 200. I am guessing here but at least this is a guideline for you. Shilling is approx 137 to a pound take or leave a shilling or two.

You do not need to bring shillings from the UK, carry some cash pounds and change at the airport. Alternatively you can withdraw from ATM here, perhaps it is a good idea to tell your bank to expect some transactions from Kenya so they do not block for some reason.

Estimate your drinking needs :) and have some spare for tips if you feel like it. You can always spend something extra which you left on small souvenirs.

Have a fabulous stay in Kenya!

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,460 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safari money

Most lodges will also let you run a tab and settle it with a credit card (it's a good idea to warn your card issuer that you'll be using your card in Kenya)

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: safari money

thank you, somebody that has given me prices at last :) you were very helpful in your answer, thanks again

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safari money

hi

We came back from Kenya at the beginning of January, We did 3 night safari and rest of time at Baobab at Diani beach. We ( myself, daughter and grandson) used credit cards at the Lodges and yesterday I got my card statement- average bill per lodge for the 3 of us was £20.

Have a fab time- we loved it. Sue

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: safari money

thank you sue :)

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: safari money

You are welcome sharonsheppey and enjoy your trip to Kenya!

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

kent
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safari money

should have gone all inclusive

Bize-Minervois...
Level Contributor
445 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safari money

No need to feel you have to go all inclusive drinks are not that expensive on safari and nobody drinks that much anyway otherwise they would never get up for the morning drive!

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: safari money

I did not think you could go AI on safari.

We always take around £200 in KHS with us from the UK at the start of the holiday for tips etc and personally we never go AI even at the hotel as we don't spend that much on drinks etc to warrant the large charge.

When we are on safari my husband likes to pay as he goes and I use my credit card at the lodge/camp shops to buy souveniers, books etc.

Apart from drinks you will need money for a tip for the safari guide, (payable at the end of the safari) porters, waiters etc.

Last year at Ngulia they had problems with their chip and pin machine and luckily my driver gave me the money until I could get to an ATM to repay him back.

Edited: 10:56 am, February 01, 2013
manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safari money

I would NEVER go all inclusive. I prefer to spend my money in Kenya so that Kenyan's benefit and not some big tour operators in the West.

And whoever said drinks aren't that expensive clearly doesn't share me and my friends tastes. We regularly get hit with bills of £100-£200 for 1 or two nights. And I'm not even going to say how many that is split between in case you think I have a drink problem!