We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To be concerned?

Bristol, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
To be concerned?

Hi all,

I am considering a (very) last minute booking for a couple of weeks based down at Diani Beach area. I'd be arriving this Sunday and staying until the 9th Feb.

In view of the March elections and 'potential' unrest/danger that might come along with that.......does anyone think they'd have any concerns about visiting Diani (or the coast in general) in the next couple of weeks?

Has anyone actually decided against visiting between now and March for this reason?

It's decision time for me!.....

Any comments would be greatly appreciated

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: To be concerned?

No Concerns,

Very quiet at the Coast and Diani in particular. Come and enjoy yourself.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To be concerned?

You will be gone well before the elections start. Can't see any problems you should be even considering.

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: To be concerned?

Touch wood all is quiet at the coast. If you are coming over this weekend for two weeks you should be fine. We had nominations last week - all went peaceful here. We live here with kids and so far touch wood have not made any alternative plans, fingers crossed :)

The weather is nice, not too hot as North East monsoon is prevailing, you will enjoy it I am sure!

Bristol, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: To be concerned?

Thank you to those of you who have replied. I appreciate that!

Leigh
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: To be concerned?

Do you anticipate any problems ? I arrive on the 15th March for 2 weeks. Can you keep me informed please

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: To be concerned?

Maxwelleigh, I think nobody can tell for sure what will happen. People on Kenya forum here are active, so just keep an eye on the discussions. There are some threads already on elections - have a look.

Based on the elections of December 2007 there were clashes but fairly localised to certain locations. The media painted slightly different picture. We stayed at the coast throughout the elections and afterwards, we were open, nobody left. At the coasts tourist areas & resorts were not affected although some supply chains were somewhat interrupted which affected hotels internally, I don't think there were many serious issues for the guests though as a result.

We all are hoping for more peaceful elections this year but no one can tell for sure. Elections are on the 4th of March (first round), it is 10 days before your arrival. There was a thread here regarding travel insurances - I will try to find and if I do I will post here. Yankari - Richard Trillo - was quite detailed on this one I think. You can always wait and see? If you are spending 2 weeks at the coast and the elections and a couple of days after are fine, it should be fine - this is a personal opinion.

As for us personally, as I said above: we live here at the coast and at this moment neither we nor our friends have been making any alternative plans. We keep our fingers crossed of course :) Once again, this is our home and it is my personal view :)

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,208 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To be concerned?

There were very few insurance companies willing to cover travel to Kenya the last time. Norwich Union now Aviva was one with the proviso you didn't attend rallies or public gathering. We all have to wait I'm afraid.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To be concerned?

TF, I'm not aware of any insurance companies not issuing insurance for Kenya at the moment. Have you got any examples?

Do you mean that if there is any serious trouble *then* they'd be unlikely to insure visitors in the light of government travel advice? That's a different matter. If you're insured now, tomorrow, or whenever, to travel in Kenya, you're insured.

The level of cover may vary, and you obviously need to read the small print, but as far as tourism is concerned it is (and should be) business as usual and as of now, there's no advice not to visit Kenya (with the exception of Somali border regions which you wouldn't be going to anyway).

Richard Trillo

South West England...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,208 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To be concerned?

I didn't say anything about now! The last time.

South West England...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,208 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To be concerned?

Links to posts about insurance post election 2007/8

tripadvisor.co.uk/…10004909

tripadvisor.co.uk/…10391077

tripadvisor.co.uk/…10100237