We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book safari independantly or through t/a

surrey
Level Contributor
273 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Book safari independantly or through t/a

My wife & i are planning our 1st safari/beach holiday in Kenya,we have found a hotel we like through thompsons that has a price of £250 extra ( all inc)for a 3day/2 night tsavo east/west safari but many on here have recommended jt safari's who i have been in touch with & offers the same itinerary but privately(just the 2 of us) for about £900,question is will it be worth the extra money to go privately or will the thompson tour be much the same albeit in a larger group,any help much appreciated!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book safari independantly or through t/a

its a holiday planned for two,then better go for a private tour where you will be free and comfortable too.

surrey
Level Contributor
273 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book safari independantly or through t/a

Hi,thanks for the reply,that was how i was thinking too.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book safari independantly or through t/a

your very much welcome. Cheers!

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book safari independantly or through t/a

Thomsons would expect you to pack up and vacate your room while on safari. That way they don't pay the hotel so can offer a cheaper safari. You would have to go on a set day and be on a 9 seater safari bus with the possibility of sharing your safari with 7 others. Everything else is much the same so you need to weigh up whether the exclusive use of the bus and not moving out of your hotel room is worth the extra.

Winchester, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Book safari independantly or through t/a

I think you are paying more than you should. We did a private safari last month with Plan Safari ltd ( http://www.plansafari.com ) and spent £750.00 for two. We had a comfortable 4x4 Jeep to ourselves, they were wonderful from start to finish and the booking & payig couldn't have been much easier. Stayed at the Ashnil Aruba Lodge and Kilaguni Serena both of which were fantastic. Shop around for the right price!

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Book safari independantly or through t/a

If you book your safari as part of a package rather than an excursion, then yes you will vacate your room depending on the start day (we've just come back having done Best of Kenya which departs on the day of arrival in Kenya), other safaris may not start until a couple days later (last year we did Best of Tanzania which didn't depart until two days later but we found out this year it also went on day of arrival)

If you book as an excursion with the Thomson/First Choice Rep then you will not be asked to vacate the room.

As for the vehicle, Thomson actually say in the brochure that although it is a 9seater there will only be a maximum of seven passengers, the safari bus will have two unused seats thus guaranteeing everyone a window seat albeit a bit cosy when you all want to stand at once!

To be honest this was our 3rd safari with Thomson, the first two times there were six couples (2 safari buses), none of whom knew each other at the start, but we had a great time...this time we were the only two people and still enjoyed it despite our initial reservations when we found out at on arrival...we worried that we'd miss the "campfire" camaraderie chatting about the days sightings but we were also able to take advantage of an extra excursion that others had not wanted to do 5yrs ago

As Tembofan says, pros & cons whichever way you do it...I should say hubby works for Thomson in UK so we always book our holidays thru them but we are also not averse to booking independent trips (particularly in Greece), having said that I will always give my honest opinion and comments given are from my own experiences

surrey
Level Contributor
273 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Book safari independantly or through t/a

Thank you all for your thoughts/experiences,i'm swaying towards a private safari as don't like the idea of checking out of our hotel room whilst of safari plus prefer to choose when in the 2 weeks we go.

8. Re: Book safari independantly or through t/a

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, December 15, 2013