We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baobab beach Resort...stop discrimination of locals.....

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nairobi, Nairobi...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Baobab beach Resort...stop discrimination of locals.....

I  cannot believe that in this day and age, some beach hotels at our Kenyan coast cannot allow locals to drive into their hotels for whatever! Baobab Beach and Spa Diani...****!!!? just 4 days ago at 7.30 am Tue /7th Feb... In my own country....?

I never got past the gate and me and the driver had to park and wait for

my guests from Europe ( who are actually travel agents here to see what Kenya has to offer) who were staying there had to walk to the gate/road for me to pick them up..! I still can't believe it actually happened ...! 

Even the drink etc I was hoping to have there was not to be... Can't one walk in/ drive in without a booking...then they said they Only allow cars from "large tour operators" as I was with a tour van and driver..

I have never experienced this before in my twenty something years in tourism industry and in particular as a tour operator..what about common Kenyans trying to sample what the coast has to offer? Plus to say they only allow tour vans from large tour operators is even worse with all these many upcoming Kenyan owned tour operators...! They even said they do not know "this company" pointing at the company sticker on the minibus..even the security manager whom I spoke to on phone stood his guard...so did the reception whom I could only access on phone from the gate... Having been a past chairman of KATO, I tried all diplomacy and charm and reason and how this is bad image for guests but wapi. Such hotels are sabotaging our efforts to give Kenya a good name.  Am still with guests now on Safari and they cannot understand why they have to be made to walk to the gate carrying their luggage....plus I cannot go into Baobab beach Hotel when I walk into many + stars in New York etc with no problem .. 

This is such a bad image for tourism given the clients had to walk with their luggage to the gate as they were proceeding on safari!!

I have just been notified by another hotelier also from Diani with the finest boutique hotel in Diani that they have had problems in the past as they only allow their own vehicles in mainly

...... This is so insulting! And to say we are promoting tourism....?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,814 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Baobab beach Resort...stop discrimination of locals.....

Hey Leeds. I can compromise. I still have a B&W TV!

Yes, it was more about exclusion on grounds of 'preferred' visotors than actual skin pigment but this is the place that insists, alledgedly, on German Passports.

Nairobi, Kenya
1 post
Save Reply
52. Re: Baobab beach Resort...stop discrimination of locals.....

Well well, even if its for security reason, we cannot allow our country to drift into apartheid or any other form of discrimination. They should allow experts to handle security matters without infringing on the rights of Kenya or ant other person. The problem is that such hotels spends the least on security personnel then issue blind blanket rules that are not applicable just to seem relevant

53. Re: Baobab beach Resort...stop discrimination of locals.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:41 am, June 18, 2013