We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight to Mombasa via Nairobi.

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
14 posts
Save Topic
Flight to Mombasa via Nairobi.

May be stupid questions but here goes.

IThe last 2 holidays I've flown directly to Mombasa from Gatwick. This January I'm flying Heathrow to Nairobi and on to Mombasa.

1. Do I have to collect baggage and check it in again?

2. Do I get the visa at Nairobi or Mombasa.

3. Is there any thing else I should know abouth the Flight Transfer.?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,257 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight to Mombasa via Nairobi.

Hi,

your bags are checked through but you have to collect them as you go through customs in Nairobi. You get your visa at Nairobi. You will probably be through immigration before your bags come off. Its better to download the form (see link below) and print it and fill it out at home, saves time and hassle at the airport.

kenyahighcommission.net/khccontent/visaspass…

After going through immigration you collect your bags and leave the International terminal. You can either walk straight across the car park to the Domestic terminal or just follow the pavement around in a crescent to the left.You then put them through the scanner, and go through the scanner yourself. As you enter the Domestic terminal and just drop them off at the KQ desk which is right in front of you.

Doff

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
53 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight to Mombasa via Nairobi.

Thanks- my questions answered! Your link tells me I need to bring a photo, what happens if you don't? Also it says I need a Travel Itinerary- is this necessary? I only have a few emails! or is this just if you apply by post?

Thanks

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight to Mombasa via Nairobi.

No photos are required for visas on arrival only if applying by post before leaving the UK. Last time they just scanned my passport while the time before they took a webcam photo and finger prints. Always changing! For an itinerary I just usually do a quick one-liner giving my accommodation details if applying by post. For visas on arrival this isn't necessary.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight to Mombasa via Nairobi.

No photos required when purchasing Visa on arrival.

As to itinerary, maybe required if applying prior travel, but on arrival just put down name of your tour operator or hotel.

dublin
Level Contributor
127 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight to Mombasa via Nairobi.

You can get the visas quite quickly on arrival in Nairobi, no need to print them out beforehand.

I am just back from Kenya, and did the Nairobi - Mombasa flight twice, and both times the flights were delayed. On our return the delay meant we missed our connecting flight to Europe and delayed us over 24 hours in the end! just to warn you!

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight to Mombasa via Nairobi.

I would definitely print out the form and fill it in before landing in Nairobi. It can be a rugby scrum with hundreds of people looking for somewhere to rest and searching for pens.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight to Mombasa via Nairobi.

I agree with T - sometimes it is a scrum to just get the form, let alone find a pen or resting place - nothing simpler to download the Visa form

8. Re: Flight to Mombasa via Nairobi.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, October 17, 2012