We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Homework

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dingwall, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Homework

I know that I'm not alone in feeling exasperated by the reactions of some visitors to the Kenyan coast who expect to find conditions equivalent to the Costa del Sol etc. Some of this contributors then go on to criticise hotels etc completely unfairly and potentially could harm both the hotels' trade and also the potential employment of many Kenyans.

If you go to the East African coast you will get an upset stomach. Almost everyone does and it is often nothing to do with eating fruit or dirnks with ice cubes. In the tropics everyone gets ill from time time. The answer is, be ready for it and take the appropriate medicines with you.

Beach Boys. Yes there are lots of them and all trying to earn a living. In the Diani area most of them come from some of the unofficial villages which have sprung up inland. The vast majority are harmless and if you learn a couple of words of Swahili you can enjoy the banter and once you say "no" firmly enough then they will leave you alone.

Staff in the hotels are poorly paid, literally a few pounds a week, and for long hours. Tipping is quite natural and the odd 100 Shillings here and there is greatly appreciated.

Oh and yes, there are a few bugs and beasties, but this is Africa! Belive it or not one UK visitor actually complained to a hotel manager that no one warned them that there would be fish in the sea!!!

99% of Kenyan people are fantastic, helpful, good humoured and desperate for us all to enjoy their country and to keep coming back. Afterall their economy depends on it.

Please, if you are going to Kenya for the first time, do some research so you have some idea of what to expect.

Dingwall, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Holiday Homework

Glad you had a great experience and I hope you will be back in Kenya soon!! Some folk do complain a wee bit too much and I'm delighted that you don't fall into that category.

We have found Kenya addictive over the last 10 years....

cumbria
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Holiday Homework

its not the costa dell sol it opends a window to a amzing holiday,safari a must ,steveandrichard,have looked after us great the last 3 times we have visited

13. Re: Holiday Homework

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, October 15, 2012