We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safari attire

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
safari attire

ok have checked out what to pack very useful but I have a few more specific questions i wonder if anyone can answer. I know it isnt a fashion parade and im as comfy in scruffs as I am in a ballgown

In the evening once safari drives ect are done do ladies just stay with what they wore all day or do they change into a maxi dress or long skirt for evening drinks in the lodges?

I dont plan to do a lot of walking can I wear flat sensible sandles or will it really be better to pack enclosed pumps ect.

Thanks in advance im sure i need another question answered but I have forgotten so I maybe back. Im packing the safari rucksacks so want to be sure it`s ok :)

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safari attire

I usually have a shower and put on maxi dress, skirt or trousers. I also usually wear open toe sandals or the flip flop type (but more - they have avery small wedge heel) hope I've described that OK. I usually find anything with a heel/big wedge too uncomfortable after standing for hours in the safari bus!

edited for a PS - taking some Crocs Mary Janes with me this year to wear with frock/trousers.

Edited: 11:33 am, August 15, 2011
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,846 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safari attire

Wear whatever you feel comfortable in. the lady M does sometimes wear a skirt as I am told they are cooler. My only parry to that is that it does expose more of her legs to the odd Mossie bite at a time of day when they are more active. (the mossies not her legs!!)

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: safari attire

LOL thank you so much Min that really helps LOL @ mfuwe :)

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safari attire

I also too change into a maxi dress and if in the Mara take a pashmina to keeep myself warm going to dinner as our tent is quite far away from the main dining area and tends to get chilly walking up and also for bush dinners..

Wear flat shoes due to operations on my feet and also for comfiness.

The best I find because of my condition is clarks open toed sandals with a small wedge and straps across that adjust as my feet tend to swell during the day.

After coming back you will need to have a shower and wash your hair as it gets sticky and hot if out all day and I also put on some light make on..

Edited: 3:14 pm, August 15, 2011
Bundaberg, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safari attire

Is it acceptable to wear dressy dark coloured denim jeans with a nice top and shoes?

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
976 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safari attire

It's 'acceptable' to wear whatever you feel comfortable in. I, for one, wouldn't be seen dead in a dress or skirt on safari, day or night, always in shorts/cropped/combats/linen trousers and t-shirt. You wear whatever you want to, you won't feel out of place unless you've got on a little sequin number! There are some camps/lodges where you may have to dress up a bit more but they are in the minority and you would probably know that when you book.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safari attire

Personally when we go on safari the obvious is long trousers and fleece for the morning game drives especially in the Mara as I find it cold.

Would never wear a dress during the day - as the sun gets hotter cotton shorts and strap top.

Personally I tend to dress in the evening puting on a maxi dress.

It is really what YOU feel commfortable in as with others.

We obviously are not all like minded.

I personally would not wear shorts to dinner.

Edited: 10:35 am, August 19, 2011
Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safari attire

I know I made an extra effort when I went to Finch Hattons, unfortunately, the American visitors didn't. Jeans, muddy shoes and an unpleasant body odour. Yuck.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,846 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: safari attire

Hey Min,

They had made an effort. You should of seen/smelled them on an ordinary day.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safari attire

Finch Hattons is that kind of place Min when you think you should have a ball gown on as one of our party said when we visited one of the first times.

It was a wonder they were allowed in.

And they do smell - was in a van many years ago and going to the crossing at the Mara and wondered what the smell was - the couple in front - roasting hot and huge knitted jumpers on and safari jackets and long trousers - I luckily carry a smalll perfume with me and had to spray my hanky with it and put it to cover my mouth and face as couldn't take the smell.

We reached the crossing point and the guy told our driver 'mama' wants her lunch now and a crossing was evident.

Mama did not get her lunch until after the crossing and on the way back fell asleep and we saw lions near to Governors where we were stopping for wash rooms and drinks and he said I want beer not lions.

He got the lions - I wish they had got him.

That was the worst day we have ever had someone not interested in the safari.

Thankfully we take our own van now.

Edited: 3:44 pm, August 19, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Diani Beach