We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safari virgin!

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
north wales
Level Contributor
164 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
safari virgin!

first time to kenya!..going august for 2 weeks staying at diani sea resort!..thinking of booking safari with jt tours...

Think we was intending on doing a one day safari if possible? Is this any good? price?

What other safaris would you recommend a first timer. Also can anyone give me a rough guide on prices? and what to wear? Thanks

uk
Level Contributor
161 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safari virgin!

Hi

We are just back from Kenya (Southern Palms Resort) and can very highly recommend www.Beachairtours.com

We were able to email Ferdinand from the UK and he was very prompt in replying.

The prices were great and we were able to negotiate via email!

Ferdinand and staff were so very friendly and genuinely decent honest folk!

Email him and tell him Mandy recommended you and I am sure he will do his best to give you what you want.

I would highly recommend a jeep safari (not minivan) to Tsavi east (not so much Tsavo West as it is more overgrown and harder to see animlas but that said we did see 3 leopards there!).

Stay overnight at Voi Safari Lodge - it is lovely with a watering hole less than 100 metres from the outside bar! amazing herds of elephants coming up to the watering hole to drink and play!! Many of the room look out over the water hole also!

Always wear light long trousers ... we saw so many people burnt or bitten ... it was just silly!

pm me for more info if you wish and if you do email Ferdinand tell him and Hellen we said hello!

Good luck... you will love it I am sure!

north wales
Level Contributor
164 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safari virgin!

thank you very much. So how much did you pay per person? and for how many nights did you do?

uk
Level Contributor
161 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safari virgin!

we did a 2 night trip - one night tsavo east (voi safari lodge) and 1 night tsavo west (ngulia lodge) for approx £270 if i remember correctly but do bear in mind it will depend on when you go.. we went early April which is the start of the low season so prices were no doubt lower ..

We specifically asked for Voi lodge and Ngulia and it was no trouble at all.

Voi lodge was superb, Ngulia was much older and tired but do bear in mind where it is .. in the middle of nowhere! It was cold water showers which was very disappointing at 5am in the morning when getting up for an early safari!

I am sure others posters here could recommend their choice of hotel if you decided on tsavo west and Ferdinand and team can advise if they can secure it for you.

We also did a one day trip to Shimba hills - very diffferent terrain and lots of elephants, and wonderful sable antelope!

hope this helps ...

north wales
Level Contributor
164 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safari virgin!

Thanks for the advice! well we only really want one night..two days? so long as we say lots of animals that will make it memorable!! going first 2 weeks in august.. so basically just need someone to give me a rough idea on what to pay so I dont get ripped off..and where is best to go for a one night stay? Also is the trip by plane or mini bus etc? Thanks :)

uk
Level Contributor
161 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safari virgin!

hi ... i just got a message from another TA poster to say the web site i gave has a virus on it so please be careful with the link... sorry

i can give u an email address if u like but u can pm me for that if u want it.

if it is 1 overnight you are looking i wouldnt recommend going far or taking a flight (ie Masia Mara)... staying closer somewhere like Tsavo east if it is one overnight is best.

... u dont want to waste most of your "safari" time just getting somewhere

Another close option is Shimba but (Shimba) doesnt have any lions etc

Tsavo east has all the big 5 except Rhino ....and much more .... hundres of elephants various impala , gazelle, dik dik etc etc ... we came home with over 2000 photos !!!

It should certainly prove plentiful and memorable.

if i can help any further just ask and I am sure others will chip in with more or better advice.

leics
Level Contributor
421 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: safari virgin!

These different plaes have slightly different habitats so the wildlife varies a somewhat

Shimba Hills is a short day trip, the area is rain forest: plenty of buffalo and elephant and the only place to see Sable antelope. The lodge where you would go for lunch is the best spot to see nile monitors and fish eagles. But very few cats (just a few leopard) and 3 giraffes in the whole reserve. There is a nice walk available to Sheldrick Falls through the forest.

Tsavo West is mainly bush country and includes the rhino sanctuary. Ngulia Lodge puts out food in an evening and attracts leopards (this is the place to see them), porcupines, mongooses and busbabies. Other games visits the small water hole right by the restaurant and there are lots of hyraxes and birdlife. This reserve contains all the big 5 - and we saw 4 from the lodge; however lions are a bit scarce here. The reserve includes the famous Mzima springs, a great spot to get fairy close to hippos and crocodiles. Driving to here from Ngulia you pass the Shetani lava flows and can get distant views of Killimanjaro.

Tsavo East is more open savannah, better for lions, ostrich and probably more zebra than West. Better range of gazelle (impala, Grant's and gerenuk) than West. Tsavo East is a bit closer to Diani than West, but either can be done as a one night trip.

You will see vervet, sykes and colobus monkeys in the hotel grounds, and there are baboons near Diani too (a visit to the nearby Colobus sanctuary is recommended).

north wales
Level Contributor
164 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safari virgin!

thinking of Tsavo East for one night? Two Days?

HOW MUCH ROUGHLY SHOULD WE EXPECT TO PAY PER PERSON? Going first 2 weeks of August..I know you may be out a little with price but just a rough idea as I have no idea whether it will be in the hundreds?

Are we likely to see elephants and giraffes? Think aslong as we see these we will be happy travelers :)?

Thanks

leics
Level Contributor
421 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: safari virgin!

You should always see elephant and giraffe in either of the Tsavo reserves.

Here is a link to a safari company we used.

http://www.ekeasafaris.com/safaritours

These were set up by a British woman and yo ucan contact her directly - find her on the website. The pages include guide prices for various safaris. Depends how many are in the van, but you should get an overnight for about £200 or less each. Overnight means driving to the reserve with a 24 hour pass (from when you enter) then heading home. Booking direct with a local company (there are loads and they are mostly ok) means you can get a private vehicle and guide and control your own viewing.

Personal view is that minivans are better than 4x4s in Tsavo - you are not allowed off-road (off-dirt track) and they have the lift up roofs for a bit of shade and conceal your profile from the wildlife.

For a taste of wildlife in the Diani area and in Tsavo I have a set of photos on Facebook...

www.facebook.com/media/set/…

north wales
Level Contributor
164 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: safari virgin!

Right I think we are going to book Tsavo East! Just deciding on what Lodge to stay at now! any advice?

10. Re: safari virgin!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, October 29, 2012