We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what currency is best to take?

Marlborough, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
what currency is best to take?

We are coming in april, we dont want to bring all cash, we will bring so much kenya shilling, are travellers cheques accepted and easy to cash? or should we just draw it from the cash machine?

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: what currency is best to take?

Forgive me for being naive but why a major bank and why one with cameras ? - have drawn money out of many different ATM's with no problems

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,460 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: what currency is best to take?

My thought as well, seemed to be causing concern where none exists, I too regularly use ATMs from smaller banks with no problems, in fact the most reliable machine around here is from DTB.

How does a camera benefit you using your own card? Surely a camera would be only be useful if someone other than you was using your card and could be used as evidence against them

And to reiterate it makes no sense for a European from the Euro zone, or a Brit to waste money buying dollars for use in Kenya unless thay have agreed to pay for a safari in dollars rather than in shillings, uros or pounds

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: what currency is best to take?

An ATM with cameras? I've yet to see one that even works, so a bit pointless IMHO. Also, even in cases of crimes committed at ATMs with cameras, the police never catch the culprits. As with any ATM, keep your wits about you whilst using it and always know exactly who is around you.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: what currency is best to take?

I hope you can sort out the sense from the nonsense here!! Doffcocker is talking a lot of sense.

Our local Bank is very small - so small that the ATM is new (within about a year). It does have a built-in surveillance system on the machine - I must ask if it is a camera or just for human observation! There is always a security guard around. We all, locals and the few expats around, use it frequently.

Diani, Kenya
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: what currency is best to take?

Euro is becoming stronger to kenya shilling.1 euro is118ksh..So I suggest you carry euro with you.it also depends with what you are planning to shop while in kenya.there some places where pple prefer dollars,pounds and etc..

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,460 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: what currency is best to take?

Diani travel,

You are just confusing the issue, the pound is also very strong against the shilling it has been at 137 or more for the last few weeks

As already said above, it makes no sense for someone from the UK to buy dollars to bring with them, it is exactly the same for the Euro. It makes no sense for them to buy Euros. If people are going to bring money with them it only makes senese for them to bring their own currency. Pounds from the UK. Euros from the Euro zone countries and Dollars for Americans.

It has also been explained why some people prefer to be paid in dollars, euros or pounds. It benefits the business not the customer

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: what currency is best to take?

I totally agree with Doffcocker!

18. Re: what currency is best to take?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 28, 2012