We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diani Sea Lodge V Baobab Beach Resort

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire
Level Contributor
216 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Diani Sea Lodge V Baobab Beach Resort

Can anyone help? I am struggling to decide which property to book - Diani sea lodge (cheap and Cheerful) or Baobab, a lot more expensive with proberly lots of amenaties we won't use.

I want a clean comfortable room and good standard of food (don't expect fine dining). Sunbeds that I don't have to reserve at 6am in the morning and a nice pool area. Friendly service and welcome atmosphere.

I have read recent reviews of both and get quite conflicitng views and am getting more and more confused. Also, we are expecting to be away for 3 nights on safari so will only be at the beach hotel approx 9 nights.

Is the Diani Sea Resort predominatly German and are Brits made to feel unwelcome?

Any help geatly appreciated!!

Twickenham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diani Sea Lodge V Baobab Beach Resort

Have you been yet? How did you find it? We have booked DSL as the beach seemed to be nicer.

somerset
Level Contributor
175 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diani Sea Lodge V Baobab Beach Resort

Hi

We stayed at Baobab last year and it was ok.It didnt blow us away but the rooms were clean and the food was good. The staff were pretty friendly. There were quite a few germans but seemed to be enough sunbeds to go around. The major downside for me was the amount of a hawkers on the beach! I watched people constantly run the gauntlet of walking from the hotel grounds to the sea trying not to get collared and fail miserably. We,amongst others used to wait for the tide to come in before taking a dip.

Sorry if ive just added to your confusion!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diani Sea Lodge V Baobab Beach Resort

Btwn the 2, i would choose DSL. B'coz i stayed @ Diani sea Resort, sister hotel to DSL. In fact Diani Sea Resort is even better than DSL.

Diani Sea Resort is fantastic. Everything about it is awesome. Ambiance, setting, pool, rooms, food, etc...

Stef

Lancashire
Level Contributor
216 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diani Sea Lodge V Baobab Beach Resort

Hi

No we havn't been yet but I deceided on the DIani Sea Lodge. I keep reading reviews on TA and most contiune to be good but with an occasional very bad one in the mix. I just hope I have made the right decision. We go at end of August this year. Fingers crossed it will be good when get there (still a bit anxious!!)

Hope you have a great time there and if you go before me please post a report on TA.

Canvey Island...
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diani Sea Lodge V Baobab Beach Resort

We are going to Diani Sea Lodge end of July and like you will be away 3 nights on safari will post what we thought on our return hope this helps but if you are like us and are just grateful that we are able to visit such an amazing country and beleive that no matter what it will be the trip of a lifetime, then I am sure that you will have a great time

Bedforshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diani Sea Lodge V Baobab Beach Resort

We had a great time at Diani sea Lodge . Yes there were a fair few Germans . But no i saw no evidence of awkwardness. There were also a fair few English . The setting is lovely , beach is beautiful and the hotel to my mind exceeded all expectaitons . The recent negative review is to my mind inaccurate and very unfair . The moaner didnt seem to like anything . If you take the average the vast majority of reviewers give positive reviews . I have no idea about the other hotel you mention . I hope you have a great trip .

Nottingham, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Diani Sea Lodge V Baobab Beach Resort

hi we also going to the lodge at the end of august....see u there

val

Canvey Island...
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diani Sea Lodge V Baobab Beach Resort

We have just come back from Diani Sea Lodge and were very pleased the food was good and the staff excellent you do not have to reserve you sun lounger and the mix of english and german is about the same and we did not find any difference in the treatment. I am sure you will have a great time where ever you decide to go.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
216 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Diani Sea Lodge V Baobab Beach Resort

Thanks for the recent replies - I did go ahead and book the Diani Sea Lodge and looking forward to the stay. Not expecting 5* but then again didn't pay 5* prices. Been tracking the reviews for months and most are positive so now on count down - one more day to work.

Thanks again

Lilly

10. Re: Diani Sea Lodge V Baobab Beach Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 pm, October 22, 2012