We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware - Rogue Tour Operator SUNRISE TOURS

Coventry
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Beware - Rogue Tour Operator SUNRISE TOURS

To all travellers wishing to visit Kenya, if your are ever in this apart of the world and thinking of booking one of the many trips available beware of booking any through the following Company.

The Company is called ‘Sunrise Tours’ and the address details are :

‘Sunrise Tours’

1st Floor

Tropicana Shopping Centre

PO Box 5201-80401

Diani Beach

South Mombasa

Kenya

The main contact name is Sammy Mwendwa – e-mail address of sammymwendwa@hotmail.co.uk

Tel : +254 (0) 721209080

The main contact name is Sammy Mwendwa who initially appears very friendly and helpful, however as I learned to my expense he and his Company are nothing than a front for obtaining money dishonestly.

He arranges trips, excursions etc, demands the money up front and then at the eleventh hour advises that the trip has been cancelled.

He informs you that he has paid the money upfront and unable to get it back.

This unfortunately happened to me, I booked a Safari with him in early November ’09, he cancelled the trip at the last minute and did not arrange an alternative or refund.

To date, I have still not received any refund of my money that he promised and am significantly out of pocket

Will all travellers please note that this man and his Company are dishonest, sharks, liars, call them what you will, they are not to be trusted. They ruin peoples holiday by not supplying in some cases ‘the trip of a life time’ and give the real Kenyan tourist firms a very bad name.

If your read the e-mail please forward on to all Hoteliers, friends, tour operators, Businesses, Kenyan aquatints that live in this area or may be thinking of using this Company to book excursion.

He is a crook and only after your money – do not trust him like I did otherwise you may get caught in the same trap.

London
Level Contributor
298 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware - Rogue Tour Operator SUNRISE TOURS

I would love to know what an "aquatint" is.

Reverse fishing?

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware - Rogue Tour Operator SUNRISE TOURS

Think aquatint is a form of Acquaintance.

Could be a type of fish !

Sydney
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware - Rogue Tour Operator SUNRISE TOURS

So sorry to read about your bad dealings.

Thanks for the heads up about this operator.

Perhaps you should write to the Kenyan Tourist Board and the Kenyan Tourist Police

Cheers..

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware - Rogue Tour Operator SUNRISE TOURS

I keep reading on this forum about bogus operators, getting ripped off by beach boys etc. What I would say is that if you want a cheap holiday/saafri, there has to be a catch. If you book with a reputable operator (based in your home country) at least you are protected, and know what you are getting. Yes it will be more expensive, but you are safe.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware - Rogue Tour Operator SUNRISE TOURS

Hi exited-traveller 99. Yes you are right this person is indeed a crook. One of the reputable companies we use on the coast knows him well for doing this and you are not the only person he has done this to.He has just set up the company to gain money from people as a front - the other safari operators know this Sammy well and he is not experienced in safaris at all.

Unfortunately, as you are now back I feel that you may not get your money back and should have gone to the tourist police when you were out there at the time. If he is still operating can you not get the GM of the hotel you were staying at to report him to the tourist police and they will take action, other than that we are going out twice this year and will visit the office for you - know exactly where it is and see if he is still there and get the police to give him a visit. Did you get any receipts or itenerary that you could produce to show that you have paid the money up front. Usually the reputable tours operators give you a receipt for the safari you are going on - some take a small deposit - others don't and only take the money the day you are departing as they come with the van to the hotel. Sorry about your bad experience.

Kind regards Malaika

Kenya
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware - Rogue Tour Operator SUNRISE TOURS

I said this before and i have to say it again...it is advisable that all of you out there can book with a reputable company...and just incase they dont offer you the agreed services and you feel quite offended, maybe want a refund visit the tourist police office within your location. If the response is not good contact The Tourist Police Commandant Mrs. Rose Mbae on tel +254 020 2727844

Frankfurt Main
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware - Rogue Tour Operator SUNRISE TOURS

Check this web site to file complaints and claims. kenyapolice.go.ke/tourism%20police%20unit.asp

8. Re: Beware - Rogue Tour Operator SUNRISE TOURS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 31, 2010