We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which orphanage(s) to choose?

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
549 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Which orphanage(s) to choose?

I have been gathering bits and pieces and saving outgrown clothes from my kids and those of my friends for as long as i remember, as our last two planned visits to kenya have not taken place for one reason and another.

I am now only two weeks away from travelling, and reckon on having at least one case full if not two. (Having solved the issue of Virgin misallocating our luggage allowance).

I just dont know where to take them!

I would also like to stop on route to buy some provisions with the help of a good taxi driver.

My dilemma is whether to choose a home well know to TA users, which is well organised and well run, or choose one which gets less visitors but risk the possibility of my gifts being ill used, or not benefitting the children to the maximum.

I welcome any ideas and suggestions, particularly from the 'local experts'.

I really want to be able to make a difference to the children.

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
549 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Which orphanage(s) to choose?

Look forward to meeting you and your brother Douglas!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Which orphanage(s) to choose?

Has anyone used stuffyourrucksack.com? I believe it was started by a BBC employee and links travelers with orphanages w/ needs. My wife and I are traveling to Kenya/Rwanda/Uganda in September 2010 and were thinking of using the site to determine what to take and who to give it to. Any feedback? Has anyone used it and can comment?

23. Re: Which orphanage(s) to choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 03, 2010