We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Papillon Lagoon Reef - Walkable to Forty Thieves?

Scottish Highlands...
Level Contributor
97 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Papillon Lagoon Reef - Walkable to Forty Thieves?

Hi - how far is it to walk? Would you go by beach? Also, what about after dusk, safe to walk?

Thanks

leics
Level Contributor
423 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Papillon Lagoon Reef - Walkable to Forty Thieves?

Looks like about a mile and half from this map...

http://www.dianibeach.com/map/index.htm

After dark it would be a bit risky - poor footpath, no lighting.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,171 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Papillon Lagoon Reef - Walkable to Forty Thieves?

I wouldn't walk out at night especially on the beach or on the lane down to 40 Thieves. Always book a recommended taxi to take you and pick you up. Walking along the beach during the day is fine - you will probably pick up a few friends along the way!

South West England...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,171 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Papillon Lagoon Reef - Walkable to Forty Thieves?

PS forgot to add that Ali Barbour's (restaurant side to 40 Thieves) provide transport to and from your hotel.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Papillon Lagoon Reef - Walkable to Forty Thieves?

It's 2.5km, and takes about 40mins. I wouldn't hesitate to walk along the beach here, day or night. I wouldn't take unnecessary valuables with me, though, and at night I'd rather do it under a moon, but it's such a lovely walk.

You wouldn't want to do it along the road - no lights, and no pavement.

People always say "take a cab at night", but does anyone know the last time anyone was mugged on Diani beach itself?

Richard

South West England...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,171 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Papillon Lagoon Reef - Walkable to Forty Thieves?

I know of a girl who got conned by two so called "policemen" on Bamburi beach at night. The charge was talking to a person on the beach who dealt in drugs and they dealt her an on the spot fine. Both "policemen" and "drug dealer" were later seen laughing further down the beach after she had handed over money and a watch.

Gullable to say the least but avoidable.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Papillon Lagoon Reef - Walkable to Forty Thieves?

"People always say "take a cab at night", but does anyone know the last time anyone was mugged on Diani beach itself?"

No, but I still wouldn't walk *anywhere* in Kenya at night, and I live here.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Papillon Lagoon Reef - Walkable to Forty Thieves?

Tembofan, that useful to know. If it worked once, they've probably kept doing it. Was it recent?

FL410, if you don't know of any risk on Diani, then with respect does that really make sense? And do you literally mean not *anywhere* in Kenya?

There are plenty of places you can walk safely after dark – in my opinion – and I guess my view would be that if there's no evidence of anything bad happening in those places, why would I or anyone else particularly need to worry about them. There are, however, various *notorious* spots around the country, where mugging and extortion incidents have taken place repeatedly (though in some cases, for example the roads down from the coast highway to Tiwi Beach) possibly not for years, but they are still cited as reasons why people have to always take a cab, and can't safely set a foot out of their accommodation compound without being inside a vehicle.

It ain't always so.

I just don't recall the last time I heard of a serious incident on Diani involving tourists being robbed (not counting the odd well-publicised violent burglary on residents etc). Tembofan, I would definitely count what happened to the girl you cite as serious enough to put anyone off walking on the beach at night at Bamburi. I guess I'm inviting people to tell us of any cases at Diani.

All this is my opinion, obviously. I'm not trying to tell anyone they're wrong to always get cabs.

Richard

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Papillon Lagoon Reef - Walkable to Forty Thieves?

"FL410, if you don't know of any risk on Diani, then with respect does that really make sense? And do you literally mean not *anywhere* in Kenya?"

Yes, I do literally mean not *anywhere*. Neither I, nor any of my friends or family who live here, would walk anywhere at night. Not because we're lazy but because there have been too many violent incidents. Ok, so they may not involve tourists (which addresses your question) but they do involve residents. And once it's happened to someone you know, it makes you very cautious. As you know, I work in the security industry and half of what happens is suppressed and doesn't make the media. That's a good thing where tourism is concerned, but not so great when innocent people become victims because they aren't armed with all the facts. Crime is on the rise here and, without wishing to be a scaremonger, I honestly don't think it's worth taking the risk. When at the coast, we only walk the beach at night (say, from Forties to Nomads and back for dinner) if there are more than four of us.

South West England...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,171 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Papillon Lagoon Reef - Walkable to Forty Thieves?

The incident on Bamburi Beach was 18 months - 2 years ago pre-election when there were more tourists around. My advice is to limit the risk at all times and don't let your guard down just because you are on holiday.

Stamford, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Papillon Lagoon Reef - Walkable to Forty Thieves?

Just worth mentioning, the kind staff at Forty thieves will provide a member of staff to walk you back to your hotel if the mini bus is busy with folk from the restaurant, usually a large bar man!