We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drinking water and all inclusive

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wales
9 posts
Save Topic
drinking water and all inclusive

Is is true, that in some hotels, drinking water is not all inclisive. We were thinking to stay in Papillon lagoon reef hotel.

I dont understand, i thought, water is the main think.

Fallen on Hard Times
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drinking water and all inclusive

We always take "Puritabs" with us - one tablet per litre of water. The water has to be left standing for 15 minutes or in areas where Schistosomiasis (Bilharzia – I believe the snails are found in some Kenyan lakes?) is prevalent for 30 minutes. The water is OK for cleaning your teeth etc. I use it to make tea etc. It tastes OK to me. I trust it more than flask water provided in some hotel rooms; having been advised by one rep that some room attendants in certain hotels when in a hurry will fill the flasks with tap/bore-hole water.

whipperleys.co.uk/acatalog/…a239

Scotland
Level Contributor
159 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drinking water and all inclusive

most hotels give you 2 small bottles of drinking water in ur room for ur teeth ect but you can buy lrg bottles from the shop if ur hotel has 1 or the bar from 0.80shillings to 1.50shillings(less than a£)but check that the bottles R sealed, havent been to papillon lagoon,

West Midlands
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: drinking water and all inclusive

The water at the Papillion is not included in the all inclisive, but they do supply a flask in the bathrooms to brush you teeth.

Wales
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: drinking water and all inclusive

Thanks you all.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: drinking water and all inclusive

Papillon's flask water is absolutely fine. There's no more reason to think the flask water would be hastily obtained from some unclean source than to think they'd do the same in the water bottling plant (or the coke bottling plant or the brewery frankly).

I wish more hotels would adopt the practice of providing clean water in flasks rather than clogging up Kenya's land fills with plastic bottles.

As for Mzungu Mzee Sana's comments about puritabs, they sound very applicable to bush life (when you wade up to your knees to get water from the muddy water hole), but bilharzia in their water is most definitely not something that tourists in hotels need worry about!

Have a great trip.

Richard

Fallen on Hard Times
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: drinking water and all inclusive

Richard I agree with you and certainly the room attendants should fill the flask water from the hotels’ authorised distribution point. When we have flask as apposed to bottled water we are at their mercy. Interesting to note that the Tropical Places representative said to me in 2001 that one hotel’s “outbreak” of vomiting and diarrhoea was pinned down to one lazy room attendant actually filling the room water flasks directly from the taps in the bathrooms. My depleted box of 960 Puritabs is a leftover from scenarios you describe and as such I did not have to pay for them. I suspect those persons affected with vomiting and diarrhoea in the hotel the Tropical Places representative spoke about would have wished that they had an alternative method of ensuring their water was purified.

7. Re: drinking water and all inclusive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 15, 2010