We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diani Sea Lodge/Resort - walking around day/night?

dorset
Level Contributor
553 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Diani Sea Lodge/Resort - walking around day/night?

Hello

We are looking at booking either the Diani Sea Lodge or Resort for a trip in October.

I have a couple of questions:

- it seems there are some shops and bars and restaurants nearby. Is it OK to walk to these during the day?

And what about at night? For instance, can you walk to the Forty Thieves for a change or scene (it looks to be quite close by) or is a taxi necessary?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
33 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diani Sea Lodge/Resort - walking around day/night?

Hi the shops and bar (Ushago' Sports bar) across the road from DSR is safe to walk to at night and day. Forty thieves is accessible along the beach early eve if the tide is right and yuo aren't alone. We were there in April and did it. Howevr ig going by road mught be easy to use taxi.

This taxi no is safe 072103810871 or 0737082964. Ask for Josefine. She is real nice.

Hope that helps.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diani Sea Lodge/Resort - walking around day/night?

Ali Barbours / Fourty thieves offer a taxi service just give tracy an email tracy@alibarbours.com it is a 3 min drive.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,166 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diani Sea Lodge/Resort - walking around day/night?

Walking around during the day is fine, just be sensible and don't flash jewellery, expensive gadgets or loads of dosh.

At night, always use a taxi or restaurant transport to take you and bring you back and don't be tempted to walk along the beach to 40 Thieves, definite no no.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,726 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diani Sea Lodge/Resort - walking around day/night?

pier21

While respecting Tembofan's experience and views, I wouldn't hesitate to walk from Diani Sea Lodge to Forty Thieves (about 300m) along the beach after dark, especially with one or more others, and especially if I had no valuables on me apart from some cash for the evening. Diani Sea Resort is a bit further north (perhaps 800m?), but still only 10-15 mins along the sands. Under the moonlight, it's irrestistible.

I'd be very interested to hear of anyone who knows of any recent muggings.

Have a great (and safe) trip,

Richard

5. Re: Diani Sea Lodge/Resort - walking around day/night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, January 31, 2010