We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking gifts

Devon
11 posts
Save Topic
Taking gifts

Hi

We want to take gifts out for the orphanage, what suggestions and items are of most benefit?

Thank you

Harrogate
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking gifts

Pens, pencils, exercise books - the usual. Or for something a little different for the children take baloons, or musical instruments. Honestly they appreciate anything you can give them. I always prefer to take goods rather than cash (I have heard a lot of stories about money ending up in peoples pockets), you can always buy locally too to support the economy in Kenya. We always take buscuits for the children as this makes a change from sweets and they can be bought locally.

Cambridge
Level Contributor
344 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking gifts

Inflatable footballs have been suggested - both boys and girls enjoy a good kick around but plastic footballs quickly break. Pens are better than pencils - writing doesn't fade and they don't ned sharpening. A lways carried a fist full of biros with me when walking about. Plasters and savlon are useful - kids being kids there are always scrapes that need attendin and clinic visits are expensive should cuts/bites get infected.

3. Re: Taking gifts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 26, 2010