We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a reasonably priced hotel on the beach

New York
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Looking for a reasonably priced hotel on the beach

Hi. I'm travelling to Mombasa this summer for the first time and I'll be staying there for a few days after I complete a volunteer project in Arusha. I'm looking for a hotel around Diani beach that's close to the beach for less than $150 per night. Can anyone provide any recommendations?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a reasonably priced hotel on the beach

For the best beach at Diani, Pinewood Village is the hotel, it's very quiet, talcum powder white sand, turquoise sea probably the best stretch of beach in Kenya.

It's too quiet for some, it's located right down south on the beach road away from the shops, restaurants and bars.

A good option is to look at Diani beach on Google Earth, the hotels are places of interest are listed then you can read the reviews on this forum.

Be aware that the beach from the Kaskazi hotel northwards is not so good, coral is a problem.

You must haggle for hotel prices, around Diani beach the hotels are rarely more than 50% full, 30% is the norm these days.

$150 which is £90 is way over the top for any coastal hotel, $60 per night should be tops but if you haggle properly you could half that and pay $30 per night.

Hotels with empty rooms don't make money for management they will drop their prices considerably.

(Don't go into a hotel showing your wealth, wearing excessive jewellery etc otherwise they will up the ante).

Good luck.

New York
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a reasonably priced hotel on the beach

Thank you! That was very helpful!

3. Re: Looking for a reasonably priced hotel on the beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:31 am, December 18, 2009