We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Sea

Hi,

stayed at the Voyager 2 years ago and needed aqua shoes to go into the sea as there were rocks. Going to Diana beach this summer does anyone know whether we need aqua shoes, are there rocks or coral in the sea.

Thanks

Cathie

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,116 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea

I tend to wear diving type shoes not just for the coral but because I was stung by jelly fish and am now very wary. You also have to watch out for sea urchins and other prickly things. Other than for this reason, the sea and beach at Diani is gloriously sandy so probably doesn't warrant shoes. Just me being cautious!

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea

Hi Cathie,

i am not sure in which hotel you will be. But there are some hotels in Diani, where you can go swimming without these shoes during high tide. But it is no problem, you will recognize this during low tide by watching the sea. Where it is powdy white and you can see no stones or sea urchins - don`t worry and leave your shoes.

But there are also some parts with sea urchins or stones, so better take your shoes.

Usually most times i take my shoes, but also have been to some parts (e.g. Indian Ocean Beach Club) where you don`t need these shoes.

If you got hurt by a sea urchin - try a fresh papaya - it will help to get them out.

Bye

Chrissy

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,116 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea

Thats a useful tip. For jelly fish stings grab a chap to p** on the sting.

If you are staying around the Kaskazi hotel there is more sharp coral in that area so shoes a good idea.

A cheap alternative to dive shoes is a pair of Bata daps (plimsoles) available from Nakumatt or Bata shops that you can give away before you come home.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea

thanks for the information. We are staying in the Baobab at the Kole Kole end.

Thanks

Cathie

5. Re: Sea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, November 13, 2009