We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Maria tablets?

Berkshire
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Which Maria tablets?

We're off to Kenya next month so I'm getting up to date with jabs etc. I've just been told by my doctors surgery that I have to pay £45 for Yellow Fever and anything from £15 - £60 + £15 for the prescription for the Malaria tablets. Obviously I will spend the money as I want to be safe but can anybody offer any info what they took and how it affected them please? Also if there is any other way of purchasing these things at a better rate.

Thanks

uk
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Which Maria tablets?

Sorry in my last sentence I misspellt Larium.

Bradley Stoke...
Level Contributor
152 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Which Maria tablets?

thats a bit like " MARIA" tabs!!!!!!!!!!

London
5 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Which Maria tablets?

Hi,

I was recommended Mefloquine.

You only have to take one tablet a week instead of daily, starting 2 weeks before you travel and continue 4 weeks after coming back.

Was told as long as I take with food they should not upset the stomach!

Hope this helps, although i am yet to start them so not sure of how they really make you feel!

Have taken Doxycycline in the past and they gave me TERRIBLE side effects, so bad in fact that I stopped and decided to risk Malaria!!!!!!

Not wise I know but was lucky.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Which Maria tablets?

I've made my mind up. Malarone it is. I suppose when you look at it sensibly it's only the price of a good meal for 2!

Thanks to everyone for their help. :)

15. Re: Which Maria tablets?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:29 am, November 05, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Diani Beach