We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenyan Shillings

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
macclesfield
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Kenyan Shillings

Hi, could anyone tell me if its better to change our money to Kenyan shillings in England or in kenya. When we went to egypt we lost lots of money by getting it changed at home before we went?

Susie x

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenyan Shillings

change it in Kenya ....

Rwanda
Level Contributor
509 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenyan Shillings

Much better exchange rate in Kenya - they want/need hard currency.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenyan Shillings

Not from your hotel though. Use a local bank/forex/ATM for a much better rate.

uk
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenyan Shillings

Yes better rate in Kenya, but as said not at the hotel as their rates are always lower than local banks.

Nairobi
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenyan Shillings

Change it in Kenya at a forex bureau - there are plenty in Nairobi - even at the airports but you will not find that many during your safaris so change enough to cover you for the duration of your safari

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kenyan Shillings

Change your money in Kenya. If in Nairobi you will usually get the best deal from Bay Forex just round the corner from The Stanley not sure about Mombasa but would recomend changing some at the airport for the firsat couple of days while you find your feet and the decent Forex

Mombasa,Kenya
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kenyan Shillings

change in the banks or the forex places. not at the hotel since they will rip you off.

invest in the safe and keep your excess money there. its well worth the money in case you lose all your money.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kenyan Shillings

Shaban`s situated in Cheers opposite the Bamburi Police station is the best rates you can get with NO commission taken out!!!!

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
926 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kenyan Shillings

I'm inclined to get my Kenyan money here in the UK from M & S, reasons being by using my debit card in an ATM in Kenya, I may get my KS at a better rate, but I'm still charged a cash withdrawal rate of 2.75% of the value plus a Visa charge.

Surely it's not that more of a better rate in Kenya that offsets those charges?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,391 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kenyan Shillings

Hi,

using an ATM usually works out about the same as exchanging money, just means you don't have to carry wads of sterling. (Unless you have a Nationwide Flex card, which until recently was free but now they are passing on some charge but only 1%. The Abbey Zeo credit card has no fees or commision but you are cgarged interest from the moment of withdrawal.)

However you are suggesting exchanging sterling for shillings, so you should be comparing the rate here with the rate in the UK. You will alsways get a better rate here, but as many people have said not at your hotel.

If you are staying at Bamburi as Drakesdrum says, Shaban is consistently the best rate