We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going on Safari

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Diani
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Going on Safari

My husband and I are going to the Diani Sea Lodge for our honeymoon at the start of April. We would really like to go on a safari and would like some advice.

Where are the best places to go? Who is good to book with? Is it better to book in advance or wait until we get there? How much should we expect to pay for a 2 or 3 day safari?

Also, if anyone has any other advice on activities etc we'd really appreciate it: who to book with and if we should bargin etc etc. (We especially like watersports)

Thanks very much - we cant wait to get to Kenya!!!

P.S. General tips for what to take, what to do, anything to avoid etc would be very much appreciated.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,061 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going on Safari

A good place to start is this TA list....

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294206-c9510/Kenya…

Contact a few to get some sample itineraries and prices. They have gone up considerably this year due to increased KWS fees, inflation and exchange rates (if you can negotiate paying in sterling or at least agree an exchange rate up front if paying in dollars/shillings it stops surprises later on). I would always say book it before you leave to save valuble holiday time trampling around the shops comparing prices. Booking in advance also means you get what you want, when you want rather than the safari to A goes on Z (as the tour operators do).

Prices vary according to:

air or road

private or shared (pay the extra for a private one)

standard of lodge or camp

are KWS fees included

time of pick up drop off (a late pick up/early drop off can turn a 3 day safari into a 2.5 day safari)

A good introductin to safari is a 3 day trip to Tsavo East and West. Maybe Voi Safari Lodge (old and in need of TLC but has the "wow" view) and Kilaguni Serena. Doing East and West you stand a chance of seeing the Big 5 but its not guaranteed!

Do you scuba dive? There's Diving the Crab at Diani. Other trips include a night at Shimba Lodge in Shimba Hills (in addition to a Tsavo safari not instead of!), Chale Island, Funzi Island, Shimoni, Colobus Trust (preserving the beautiful Colobus monkey), 40 Thieves Beach Bar or a trip into Mombasa. Loads to do. You'll love it.

Diani
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going on Safari

Thanks for that, it has really helped and I will definately have a good look at the companies you suggested. Thanks, I cant wait!!!

3. Re: Going on Safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:22 am, October 15, 2009