We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking malaria tablets

isle of wight
Level Contributor
18 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Taking malaria tablets

We are due to stay at Diani Beach next week and wanted to know what the situation is really like with the mozzies there at this time of year. We have had all the jabs but are not really keen to take the malaria tablets - I never took them at all when I lived in Thailand for 6 years!

We are not planning to do a safari as it's strictly a beach/diving trip.

Any info would be really helpful.

Oranje Safari
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Multi-day Tours
Tanke Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Safaris
Diani Travel and Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
bucks
Level Contributor
431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking malaria tablets

i wonder if people write these posts just to wind me up!

2. Re: Taking malaria tablets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:43 pm, February 10, 2009
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking malaria tablets

You are more likely to get bitten on the coast than on safari ! but not whilst diving of course :-)

GET YOUR MALARIA TABLETS ! go and see your GP

For the sake of a few pounds, why put your life at risk, I have lost a good friend to this disease, he had been to kenya from the uk for over 10 years without any problems but one year, he got unlucky

4. Re: Taking malaria tablets

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:52 am, February 11, 2009
isle of wight
Level Contributor
18 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking malaria tablets

Thanks for your advice much better and far more helpful than the first posting from someone who obvioulsy thinks they are an authority on everything to do with Kenya given the number of postings they've submitted. Thank you again for the much friendlier advice - that was what we were looking for.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,014 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking malaria tablets

People who live in Kenya (or other malaria endemic regions) for an extended period time don't take malaria meds either, so not unusual for a long-term stay in Thailand (if a major city) residents don't take. They take precautions during malaria biting time - dusk to dawn.

However, there are few Kenyans who haven't come down with malaria at least once, most probably more.

Malaria is not a pleasant disease (killing over 1/million worldwide yearly), if a western doctor can even immediately diagnose it properly should symptoms occur.

Mossies tend to be found in wet/humid environments, so the coast is ripe for these and other biting critters. Better safe than sorry, and for a short visit, I personally wouldn't take any chances.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking malaria tablets

Sarah ! thats not a nice reply :-)

Seriously, why take the risk ! only takes one bite from an infected mossy, which could happen. FACT.

I'm not trying to scare you but the loss of my friend was a horrible thing to witness

Go and talk to your GP and discuss it with him/her to see if they can convince you of the dangers of malaria, especially in Africa

isle of wight
Level Contributor
18 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking malaria tablets

Many thanks for the advice - it's nice to know that there are actually some helpful people out there willing to share advice.

isle of wight
Level Contributor
18 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking malaria tablets

He deserved it!!! lol it was better than what I really wanted to say!!! lol

We will be taking your advice - many thanks again.

10. Re: Taking malaria tablets

Removed on: 5:53 am, February 11, 2009