We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

southern palms

hampshire
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
southern palms

hi all,

does any1 have any reviews on this hotel please very nearly close to booking but extra info would be fab, aso how far away is diani from mombassa itself,

thanx again

x x x

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: southern palms

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g775870-d4990…

hampshire
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: southern palms

thanx for that,

i had read all of those but i was wondering if any locals/repeat visitors have more of a comparison view against the other hotels in the area.

thank you or your help tho

x x

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,167 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: southern palms

Its 1 - 2 hours depending on the queue for the Likoni ferry.

hampshire
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: southern palms

thank you x

VPS
Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: southern palms

I used to live in Nairobi and stayed at the SP about 8 times. It was consistently good with a wide choice of restaurants to choose from. The rooms have either sea or pool views and were all nicely furnished and decorated. The staff were friendly and helpful. The swim up bar is a nice touch and I personally enjoyed a lot of (proper) banana daq's. The ferry ride is worth it, it is so interesting people watching.

I have stayed at many hotels along the coast and SP's does offer good value for money. Another of my favourites was Hemingways up North. They have flag poles by the sunbeds and when you want a drink you raise the flag! Also great for sport fishing.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: southern palms

Hemmingways is an over rated place and the fishing is very expensive and what has it to do with Diani ?

VPS
Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: southern palms

Forgot to tell you about a very funny thing that happened to my partner.

I was in the pool with two friends and the trees are full of Vervet and Colobus monkeys. Tourists stupidly feed them from their fruit bowls which attracts them to balconies (then they get bitten and complain)

My partner had decided to have a siesta and I saw a Colobus jump onto our balcony and starting knocking on the window quite violently. You can imagine the reaction. My partner being slightly annoyed at being woken up in such a crude fashion. The colobus got more than it bargained for!

VPS
Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: southern palms

Shame snudge. I've had nothing but good experiences at reasonable prices at Hemingways. Have you anything positive to contribute?

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: southern palms

About Hemmingways ! nothing positive about it at all, very good food though (:-)), the fishing was ok but very expensive, I,ve never stayed at such a "stuffy" place in my life, its located in a superb location but I feel its not as good as what it thinks it is, 5 star ! it gets about a 2.5 in my book, I've had terrible service there which is just not acceptable for a hotel such as this and don't even think about taking a fellow african friend there for a drink , its more trouble than its worth

VPS
Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: southern palms

Okay Smudger, looks like we have had two very different experiences of Hemingways. Yes, it's not cheap but I felt I had value for money and excellent service compared with lots of other hotels up and down the coast. The sport fishing is much the same price as anywhere - it's always expensive!

It would be interesting to hear some tourist views.