We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking ban in Kenya

Which Diani Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking ban in Kenya

Does anyone know how the newly introduced (as of July 08) smoking ban impacts on hotels at the coast? The legislation states that you can only smoke in a sealed and ventilated room and that even smoking in private cars or your own home is now banned!!! Overall it seems to be extremely stringent legislation, and if enforced strictly would make in nigh on impossible for smoking visitors. The legislation however, does say residents. Are vistors exempt?

Wash. DC
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking ban in Kenya

as with many 'bans' in Kenya, this one may not be instituted very strictly given the lax (and at times corrupt) enforcement by the authorities. The law was more hype to demonstrate a health conscious and forward thinking country but as mentioned the enforcement lacks. I would look around and see what the folks are doing in the areas you plan on smoking but as in any situation, obey the laws of the country you are visiting.

Amerikenyan

Dorking, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking ban in Kenya

According to my Sister-in-Law who was in UK from Kenya a few days ago, yes there is a smoking bans in Kenya and they are now pretty strict with this.

Apparently the first occasion they brought this in it did not work but the 2nd time now it is being strictly enforced.

Being from Keny myself, I was rather surprised by this!!

Martin

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,327 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking ban in Kenya

see:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294210-i9512-k2…

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
367 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking ban in Kenya

no one is exempt!!

extremely surprised to see how enforced this ban is at the coast (much more than in nairobi); all hotels had clear signs all over the public areas (penalty is huge!) with very small secluded smoking areas. however you can smoke in your rooms and on the vernadas - some taxi's let you , others don't..

... and don't even think about smoking at the airports both in nairobi and mombasa - they have no designated areas outside (so please ask a security officer where you can smoke before you light up - you will shown a tree in the far distance if you are lucky) and ofcourse is prohibited inside!

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking ban in Kenya

You can smoke in the Airport !!

book in to the older vip lounge for 1,300ksh there is a smoking area with nice seats at the end of the lounge-

6. Re: Smoking ban in Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, October 06, 2009