We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to kenya

Teesside
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time to kenya

My husband and i are going to kenya for the first time in September. We are staying at the Diani Reef beach resort. I have been able to see reviews of the resort and am looking forward to it. I just have a few questions which i haven't been able to find answers to. Do we need to get a yellow fever injection; do we need to take malaria tablets (they are so expensive and i always have side affects); should we apply for a visa before we go to save time at the airport in kenya; and lastly we read somewhere that we will need warm clothing on a night, is this true?

Elaine.

Teesside
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: First time to kenya

Thankyou for all your advise, it was very helpful,especially about the visa forms. Your comments on malaria have made my mind up to get some.Just counting the weeks now, looking forward to it. Elaine

Scotland
Level Contributor
312 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First time to kenya

I found there was a huge diference in prices for Malarone. My local chemist charged £4.17 per tablet for malarone but after following advice on here I got it for £2.12 at Boots online.

Scotland, Maryland
Level Contributor
188 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First time to kenya

I quite agree. Where your health is concerned you have to take the necessary precautions.

Manchester
Level Contributor
459 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First time to kenya

My understanding is that Yellow Fever is compulsory for admittance to Tanzania but not Kenya. Sensible to take it, especially if there is any possibility you may cross the border and daft not to take the Malaria imho.

Boston...
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First time to kenya

Just reiterating the importance of taking malaria medication. yes, a lot of people take the risk of not doing it but it is just plain foolish. And quite irresponsible for anyone to suggest that it's at all okay to skip it.

Dorking, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: First time to kenya

Yes, definately recommend Yellow fever.

Also 1000% recommend anti-malarial pills, I have had Malaria several times in my life (I am from Kenya myself) and it really is not pleasant. Worth the cost.

You won't need warm clothing - it is Hot out there, may be a welcome coolness at night and possibly a light long sleeve shirt and trousers to help keep mozzies off you may be recommended.

Diani beach is a beautiful white beach and am sure you will love it there, it is where I grew up!

Hope this helps,

Martin

17. Re: First time to kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, October 06, 2009