We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safari from Diani beach or from Nairobi?

Bingley
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
safari from Diani beach or from Nairobi?

hello - looking to achieve a pristine white beach with some snorkelling from the beach, plus the chance to see wildlife on land too. People have suggested Kenya. I wondered if it was possible to do a 2-3 day safari from say Nairobi, then get a transfer from there to Diani beach for the remaining 11-12 days? Then fly back from Monbassa. But I can't see how the practicalities of having ALL your luggage with you when you go on the safari bit would work? And would it be tricky booking the transfers for afetr the safair. Otherwise would it be easier to book a mini safari from Diani itself, just for a day or maybe two? Thanks in advance

8 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Nairobi...
Level Contributor
304 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: safari from Diani beach or from Nairobi?

I would suggest to arrange a 2 days tour from Diani

Maastricht, The...
1 post
2. Re: safari from Diani beach or from Nairobi?

I would do the safari from Nairobi (more central relative to the parks and reserves) and then fly to Diani for the beach stay. You would get around the luggage problem by packing light. I think everything you'd need for safari and beach could be fit into a carry on with some care taken.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,667 posts
46 reviews
3. Re: safari from Diani beach or from Nairobi?

Depends on where you want go for a safari & your budget ?

From NBO, it makes logistics sense to goto Mara.

From Diani, easier to goto Tsavo East.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
260 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: safari from Diani beach or from Nairobi?

Hi Overworked! I am going with a friend in a bit under a month. We're going from Nairobi to Mara and Amboseli and then being transferring back to Nairobi from Amboseli and flying to Malindi. (I'm sure you can fly out of Amboseli and I know you can fly out of Mara to the coast, but the price was too rich for our blood :) )

We're also going to the Tsavos from the Watamu area, but we're spending a good bit of time on the beach as well. We're gone, all told, a bit more than a month and are just bringing backpacks and a small carry on - it can totally be done! We booked our in-Kenya flights through Fly540 and Jambo Jet. Have a great time!

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: safari from Diani beach or from Nairobi?

If landing to Nairobi i will start the safari from there,which you can cover Amboseli and Tsavo endind in Diani beach for the sun and shine. You can also arrive and departure from Mombasa and arrange a short 3days safari to Tsavo.

Level Contributor
206 posts
6. Re: safari from Diani beach or from Nairobi?

To the original poster: it's cheaper and more cost effective to use Nairobi as your safari hub and then buy a Nairobi-Ukunda return flight for your beach stay. Doing a safari from Diani would entail some backtracking (except in the case of Tsavo East perhaps).

Re the luggage concern, why not put all of your things in a soft sided carry on? With creative packing you should be able to get what you need for the stay into a small bag, though you're looking at some clothes washing I imagine.

Edited: 7:33 am, October 06, 2018
Bingley
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: safari from Diani beach or from Nairobi?

Thank you for all these lovely replies - having shown my itinery ideas to my hubby, he has promptly gone on various websites pointing out how dangerous Diani beach villas are for muggings etc, and various safari shootings. He is VERY security conscious, especially as we will have our sons with us (19&12). Soooo, he will only contemplate a hotel complex, and not in Kenya. Back to the drawing board...

Level Contributor
206 posts
8. Re: safari from Diani beach or from Nairobi?

I respect anyone's concern for security but would you mind elaborating on the "various safari shootings"? There was the well publicized killing of a ranch owner in Laikipia in 2017 but I'm not aware of a shooting involving a tourist, although it's true that some had to rebook lodgings during the Laikipia troubles.

Edited: 12:07 pm, October 06, 2018
Reply to: safari from Diani beach or from Nairobi?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted