We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zika

Baltic, Ohio
Level Contributor
14 posts
37 reviews
18 helpful votes
Zika

My wife and I were planning to visit Diani beach area. And we are expecting a child and her doctor advised us to not go to Kenya because of the Zika virus. I was just wondering if anyone knows of any recent cases or if this is something we should be concerned about. Thanks a lot.

1 reply
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,738 posts
55 reviews
52 helpful votes
1. Re: Zika

As far as I'm aware there have never been any cases in Kenya. This is an answer I wrote to a similar question last year:

This is from the World Health Organisation

"Zika virus is primarily transmitted to people through the bite of an infected Aedes mosquito. Zika virus can also be transmitted through sex.

Based on available evidence, WHO has issued no general restrictions on travel or trade with countries, areas and/or territories with Zika virus transmission.

However, WHO is advising pregnant women not to travel to Zika-affected areas in categories 1 and 2 in the country classification table.

Category 1: Area with new introduction of Zika virus since 2015 or area where the virus has been re-introduced, with ongoing transmission.

Category 2: Area either with evidence of Zika virus circulation before 2015 OR with ongoing transmission but the area does not satisfy the criteria for category 1 or 3. Areas in category 2 may also experience an outbreak of Zika.

Category 3: Area with interrupted transmission but with potential for future transmission.

Category 4: Area with established Aedes aegypti mosquitoes but no known documented past or current transmission."

who.int/csr/…

All the recommendations by the WHO documented on that page refer to counties in categories 1&2. They make no recommendations for countries in categories 3&4. Kenya is in the category 4 list, an "Area with established Aedes aegypti mosquitoes but no known documented past or current transmission"

So that type of mosquito can be found here but there is no history of the condition here.

Here's the latest country classification table:

…who.int/iris/…

It would appear there is no quantifiable risk of you contacting the condition in Kenya, but you are going to spend a lot of money on a holiday, and holidays are about relaxing, if you are still anxious and wouldn't be able to fully relax then you would be better going somewhere where you can fully relax

Edited: 1:27 pm, September 20, 2018
Reply to: Zika
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted