We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

average cost of a meal for four

UK
Level Contributor
374 posts
7 reviews
average cost of a meal for four

I am looking at coming to Kenya next year with my family of four (kids will be 13 and 11).. I'm trying to work out costs and it would be good to know how much a main meal at an average priced (not top end) place with a glass of wine or beer would cost per person? Thanks in advance..

6 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,767 posts
46 reviews
1. Re: average cost of a meal for four

Did you say next year '19 ?

Isn't very early to ask the qtn ?

Any case we're looking at apprx $10-$15 for a Main Course meal. Starters & Dessert extra.

Glass of Wine: $3-$5 ; Bottle of local Beer $3

Ali Barbour Cave Restaurant is very popular for fine dining ($$$).

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Revie…

Bon Appetit

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,735 posts
55 reviews
2. Re: average cost of a meal for four

Here at the coast a water or soda at a local bar will be around 50/- (Kenya Shillings) a beer between 180/- and 250/- depending on the bar, between 250/- and 350/- in a restaurant, the price is more likely to be between 250 and 350/- in a hotel or a smart new westernised lounge bar (several of these have opened here on the North Coast in the last few years, but I don't know if there are any on the less developed South Coast where Diani is). You can buy beer from supermarkets or wine and spirit shops for around 160/- to 180/- for a 500ml can. If you buy it in the bottle there is a deposit of around 25/- per returnable bottle so many smaller shops have switched to cans.

Wine is expensive in Kenya due to the high import duty, so the cheapest acceptable low end wines start at around 1,000/- to 1,250/- a bottle in a wine and spirit shop, in a restaurant most wines will be 2,000/- a bottle and up but they may have a couple in the 1,600 to 2,000/- range.

You can get a bar meal in a local bar for between 450/- and 900/-, a pizza will cost between around 600/- and 1,000/- depending on type and restaurant but typically 800 to 900/-, pasta dishes are generally in the 850 to 1,100 range. A main course at a decent restaurant will cost in the region of 900 to 1,800/- (1,800/- upwards for good fresh seafood).

What these prices will translate to in 2019 is anybody's guess as the Pound fell about 20% against the Kenyan Shilling as a result of the Brexit referendum vote, it slowly recovered about half of this loss but has been falling steadily since April and this has accelerated over the last few days following the Foreign Secretary's statement that a 'No deal' Brexit was more likely than a deal and the Governor of the Bank of England's warning of the effect of 'No deal'. So if there is a 'No deal' or 'Hard Brexit' you might find the Pound has fallen even further by three time you come.

For what it is worth the official Central Bank of Kenya rate today is just under 130 KSH to the Pound, so you'd be looking at getting between 125 to 128.5 at a bank or forex

UK
Level Contributor
374 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: average cost of a meal for four

Hi there.. Thanks both thats really helpful.. Don't get me started on brexit... aaarrggghhh.. Anyway, I know I am totally forward planning but we do Avios and after some years we book our flights a year in advance but I need to know whether we will actually be able to afford it once we are there so this is really helpful in my costings.. Fingers crossed we get a deal.... But when I look at whose trying to make the deal, I'm not having much faith! Cheers

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: average cost of a meal for four

Short answer: About 10 dollars per non-alc drinking person and about 15 with alc.

Long Answer: See Doffcocker's reply ;-)

Just come. It's worth it.

UK
Level Contributor
374 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: average cost of a meal for four

Thanks ToddB - yes have booked eight nights/seven days at Diani and very much looking forward to our beach time!

Level Contributor
315 posts
6. Re: average cost of a meal for four

You and your family would enjoy eating at Nomad I think. It's a restaurant fronting the beach sand and it has sun shades. They have set meals but you can also order entrees. A whole local fish with chips runs around 12 USD for example. Steaks would not probably live up to your expectations from home.

Ali Barbour's Cave Restaurant is pricey.

Don't order the food at beach bars such as Bahari Dhow or Forty Thieves. It will just disappoint you. Bidi Badu Beach Bar serves up good Swahili cuisine such as biryani and pilau but they recently had a fire and I don't know if they're back in operation.

Edited: 1:52 am, November 04, 2018
Reply to: average cost of a meal for four
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted