We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morning run along the beach?

Port Orchard...
Level Contributor
403 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Morning run along the beach?

Safe? Will we be left alone by the merchants? Perils to be aware of? We're a couple in our mid 60s so we aren't cute or anything, and will wear normal running things, nothing too short.

11 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Morning run along the beach?

Go for it. If you get approached, kindly decline. It's a stunning beach for an early morning run, but it does warm up quickly.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,334 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Morning run along the beach?

Locals and a few tourists can be seen pounding the beach early in the morning before it gets too hot and before the beach comes alive with beach boys. If I were a jogger, I'd make sure my run ended at 40 Thieves beach bar!

Level Contributor
1,522 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Morning run along the beach?

Beach boys aren't fond of jogging so it's one time they'll leave you alone. Only limitation you may face is that at very high tide there is only a narrow strip of sand to run on, and at extreme tides you may have nowhere to run as the waves overtop the entire beach and the properties behind are private. So have a look at tide tables. Low tide gives you a beautiful flat stretch of firm sand to run on, and you can go for many km.

Edited: 1:52 am, October 22, 2017
Port Orchard...
Level Contributor
403 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Morning run along the beach?

Thanks! That will be a real pleasure to run there, I'll look at the tide tables as it gets closer, we are going next August. I presume it's OK to walk down the beach in the evenings to go to dinner and/or a bar? We are staying at Diani Blue, which seems to have very good food, although we do enjoy local bars.

Level Contributor
1,522 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Morning run along the beach?

Forty Thieves Beach Bar is an easy 800 m walk to the south (turn right as you go out on the beach). Good enough for a drink but I'd pass on the food. Go a km further down the beach and you'll arrive at Bidi Badu where the food is much better (cooked by a Swahili family) but I get annoyed by the loud reggae music that reaches every corner of the beach restaurant. Another 1.2 km is Nomad Beach Bar which is a much higher class establishment than the other two I mentioned. Very comfortable seating right on the edge of the sand.

In the other direction, Swahili Beach makes a good target for a walk but it's at least 2 km from your hotel. They have a beach bar as well.

The beach is actually a safer way to get around than using the roads. I've never heard of a mugging on the sands, while on the roads, especially the quieter ones that access the beaches and the private lanes going to some villas, hardly a month goes by when you don't hear of one. By staying right on the sands you've made the best decision.

Edited: 12:41 am, October 23, 2017
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,531 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Morning run along the beach?

You should be aware that because we are close to the equator sun rise and sunset vary very little during the year. The sun rises around 6am and sets between 6.30pm and 7pm and it being the topics darkness descends very quickly, it is usually dark by 7 pm

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Morning run along the beach?

Me and my wife lived for approx 7 month in Diani during 2015. Wen't to several morning runs along the beach as well as along Diani Beach Road.

We never had any problems related to that. And since we most often brought our son in a stroller we weren't that fast (it's a small challenge to find the most compact sand for the stroller, quite good training) so it did't depend on us outrunning anyone

As Philip pointed out in post #5 the beach boys are not to fond of running. Once or twice one of them joined us for a short while but never in any way did we feel threathend ore uncomfortable. You will most likly meet a few other runners as well as tourists taking a morning walk along the beach.

Regarding restaurants I'd agree that Bidu Badu is a nice place. Just make sure that you are not too hungry when arriving, since at least when we lived there they were among the absolute slowest to prepare food with long waiting times. They actually had a sign saying "if you are in a hurry, you are at the wrong place"

40 thievies is close. Food was ok back then but more pub like, good for pizzas or a burger but not any fancy stuff. Best restaurant in our opinion was Sails (at Almanara resort).

We never, with like 1 or 2 exceptions i 7 months, walked outside after dark which is a good safety measure Hence we could walk to the restaurants if we went there before dark but did take a taxi (learned to know some reliable drivers, I can give contact details if thats interesting) on the way home.

We'll be back for a visit in february/march next year, so I migh't be able to write an update by then :)

Port Orchard...
Level Contributor
403 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Morning run along the beach?

Thanks Daniel R for your input, I am interested in the safety of walking back along the beach to our hotel after a beer or a meal. We are only there for 2 nights, and will most likely eat at the hotel 1 night, but I sure would like to just be able to stroll back to the hotel after a couple beers at 40 Thieves or somewhere close. We wouldn't be out late, say 8-8:30.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,334 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Morning run along the beach?

Don't walk out at night. Always pre-book a taxi to take and collect you.

Port Orchard...
Level Contributor
403 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Morning run along the beach?

Wow, you mean it wouldn't be safe to walk the 800m down the sand to Forty Thieves and back? Aren't there plenty of other strollers/tourists out in the evening?

Reply to: Morning run along the beach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Diani Beach