We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtles

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Turtles

We went to kefalonia at the end of August and had a brilliant holiday. The absolute highlight was seeing a nest of baby turtles and watching them make their way to the sea. IT WAS AMAZING to see such a wonderful natural spectacle.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,433 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtles

Congratulations!

Level Contributor
4,079 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtles

Agree it is great to see. We also had the privilege of seeing baby turtles on Makris Gialos beach in Lassi early Sept. The people from Argostoli Town Hall were doing a good job protecting & monitoring the nest.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtles

Sounds amazing I would love to have seen them! I'm going to Kef in 13 day's can't wait!

Level Contributor
4,079 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtles

Unfortunately think you'll be too late, they had gone from Makris Gialos when we were there. I only posted when back as the environmental dept asked us to so as not to disturb them. Saw them early morning whilst out for my run, no sign in day as beach is busy. Good luck you never know. You can also go to Argostoli in the morning & see adults near the fishing boats. Enjoy your hols.

halifax
Level Contributor
881 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtles

You will be able to see the adults if you go to Argostoli we walked along the front to the left of the Ferry port on the quiet end and had lunch at a taverna on the edge of the water a lovely spot and we saw them there at lunch time.

We were also lucky enough to have the Dolphins join us on our Three Island trip from Aghia Efimia on the Romantica II it was amazing as we were not expecting to see them at all and they were swimming right in front of our boat.

Good luck and enjoy your holiday

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turtles

Oh wow, in all the years I've been going to Kefalonia I've never seen dolphins. I would absolutely love to see them!

Yes I will go to see the turtles in Argostoli I saw them when I visited in June but I could never get bored of watching them.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,433 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turtles

We have been on the "Three Islands" trip a few times. Have several photos of empty sea where dolphins were two seconds ago!!

Bob

halifax
Level Contributor
881 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turtles

Yes Bob I must admit I did not get any pics.

I saw the fins first to the right of the boat just at the edge of the surf from the boat and really could not believe it and we moved to the front of the boat and there were three right beneath us just skimming in front of the boat with such ease and elegance it was amazing . we were so busy watching them we didn't have time to set up the camera.

The captain told us later that on another occasion that week there had been a really large pod of about 50 so there must be a lot around at the moment.

Maybe Clare G will be lucky if she does one of the trips.

9. Re: Turtles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 30, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Lourdata
Recent Conversations