We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ice and salad safe in restaurants\tavernas?

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ice and salad safe in restaurants\tavernas?

Looking forward to trying out the bars and tavernas in Lourdas and tasting the local cuisine. I would just like to know if the general opinion is that it is safe to eat salads in restaurants and have ice in drinks. I have been previously recommended to avoid uncooked veg and salads at some mediterranean resorts, not sure whether the same recommendation applies to Greece, any feedback greatly appeciated. Hoping to try out Greek salads!!!

Derbyshire
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ice and salad safe in restaurants\tavernas?

I've been to lourdas for the past 8 years and never been ill from any of the food and drink, most bars and tavernas tend to use bags of ice the same as what we buy in the supermarkets at home , salads I live on them , I really think you have no problems, just enjoy

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ice and salad safe in restaurants\tavernas?

I've never had a problem with ice or salad in Greece. I live on Greek salads at lunchtime out there. The only comment I would make about ice - and this applies to all ice, not just in Greece - is that too much of it when it's hot can actually cause an upset stomach.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ice and salad safe in restaurants\tavernas?

Hi Sparky,

Never had a problem with any veg cooked or raw. Never had a problem with ice. Never heard of anyone having a problem with them either but this thread is bound to find someone! Same as in UK, someone will have had a bad experience!

Bob

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
446 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ice and salad safe in restaurants\tavernas?

The water in Kefalonia meets all EEC drinking water standards. It is what is used for ice and washing salads.

It is all I ever drink when I am there and I have never had a problem.

garedd-m

UK
Level Contributor
587 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ice and salad safe in restaurants\tavernas?

as above... I also brush my teeth using the tap water as do the kids and are all fine.. their water is good. I do drink bottled water or but make squash with the water from the filter on the fridgefreezer in our villa.

Devon
Level Contributor
303 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ice and salad safe in restaurants\tavernas?

No problems at all. Look at it this way. When you have a coke, fanta etc from the tap gun at a taverna, bar or hotel bar, where do you think the water comes from that makes it? yup, straight from the mains water supply.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,611 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ice and salad safe in restaurants\tavernas?

I have only ever heard advice about avoiding salads and ice with regard to developing countries with a poor infrastructure, such as India, Vietnam etc. where the water supply can be contaminated with bacteria that will make you ill.

Greece is not a third world country and its water supply is completely safe. We always drink the tap water just as we do at home. The reason some people drink bottled water is that the local water may have a different mineral content from what you're accustomed to, and if you have a delicate stomach this can, apparently, cause mild upsets. I don't think a small amount of ice or diluted soft drinks is going to be a problem however delicate your tummy is. There's absolutely no reason to avoid salads - how could you go to Greece and not eat Greek salad! It's one of the highlights of my holidays :-)

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ice and salad safe in restaurants\tavernas?

Thanks for all of your messages. I feel much more confident., looking forward to eating all of the lovely Greek food, and feel reassured that it is ok for the kids too. I agree that there is probably someone somewhere who has experienced a problem, but that won't put me off as long as the general view is that it is all ok.

THANKS EVERYONE! COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS UNTIL WE GO!!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ice and salad safe in restaurants\tavernas?

I agree with Caroline about ice, many places now adopt that American habit of filling glasses to the top with ice, this often causes upset stomachs.

I always forget when I first go somwhere and end up with a very watery vodka, then I remember!!!

Then I ask either for no ice ot 1 cube, which cools down a drink without dilutung out the taste.

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ice and salad safe in restaurants\tavernas?

I always drink the water in Kef and use it to make ice cubes. only by a bottle to take out when on trips.

Get answers to your questions about Lourdas