We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

considering Loiza

erie, pa.
2 posts
Save Topic
considering Loiza

after doing some research on the net, i am unsure as to what Loiza is all about. Unsure if we should book here or not after reading about the crime rate etc. the condo is so reasonable it makes me wonder why. I would love to hear from an experienced PR traveler....Thanks for anything you can offer.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: considering Loiza

On my own opinion, this prices are so reasonable because the town is not considered touristy. The city is the poorest in the island and It has been like that for years. Loiza have one of the largest african origin population in the island, and preserved the roots and cultural values for years. Last time I visited Loiza few years ago I was disappointed with the slow progress. Loiza is a short drive to Isla Verde, which is a touristy area.

Crime is in every corner of the island and mostly drug related. Tourist are not the target but recently there was one incident in which one tourist was mugged about two month ago. This is not usual, but if you practice the same common safety precautions you will be ok.

Police presence is much lower in Loiza compared to Isla Verde, Ocean Park, Condado, and Old San Juan. They recently increased the numbers but it might not going to be there for long.

The management of some of these condos are aware the cost of renting in the San Juan area, or nearby cities so therefore they will offer a "sweet deal" and they will tell you the excellent facilities they have. They look nice but what the management is not telling and I assume that this is possible is that the location is not that attractive comparing to other locations. I never stayed on this condos so I can't comment on that, but I visited some areas of Loiza. Which condos you have in mind?

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: considering Loiza

Loiza is a historic municipality of Puerto Rico, it has a lot of history specially it is the home of one of the traditional music styles of our national culture. also it is the only place where catholicism was blended with other caribbean religions, like it happend more widely in Cuba, it is the home of the santería. Puerto Ricans are a blend of 3 historic races, our nationality is composed of 3 races that blended into one, this blending took place many centuries ago like in the rest of Latin America. Spaniards (europeans) who conquered the island, Taino indians (indigenous caribbean indians) and Africans brought later during the slave trade. this is the history of the spanish speaking caribbean which includes Cuba, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Panama and the caribbean coast of Colombia and Nicaragua and Costa Rica.

Edited: 12:24 am, January 08, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: considering Loiza

CoquiPR, thanks for the details of puerto rican history. I think this is good for the visitors to know more about our history and I am proud of our heritage and the african is one of my favored.

What you think about Loiza is not being developed faster since is close to the touristy areas, and your impressions for potential tourism in Loiza.

erie, pa.
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: considering Loiza

Thank you for your informative response. You are right about the "sweet deal"! The cost is a lot lower than other areas which was the reason I investigated the area closer. We were considering the Aquatika in Loiza. Mucho affordable. We are still looking at other areas. It's a tedious but worthwhile search. If it was just my husnband and I we would consider Loiza but, we have two 18 year old girls traveling with us which changes things a bit.

Your response was greatly appreciated. We'll keep looking.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: considering Loiza

astilbe,

What type of activiies you looking for? If you travelling with two ladies at the age of 18 and like the outdoors activities and people to see and watch or goes to a restaurant, or some sort of nightlife then Loiza is not favorable to your vacation needs. I agree, look to another possibilities.

I am just curious about what the management of Aquatika are saying about the infrastructure outside the compound. In short, are they telling everything? Not all visitors have the same interest or activities, but I like to get out the complex sometimes and enjoy the country day and some nights. Since police in Loiza is much lower than nearby Isla Verde, it makes

more difficult to stay in Loiza. Now you can visit Loiza during the day. I do feel safe in Pinones, or a bikecycle ride with a nice path nearby during the day. Also I feel Loiza is more for locals. Good luck and always ask. Have a good day.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: considering Loiza

We have stayed in Luquillo many times in the Solimar complex. I walked late at night with small children and a stroller inside the complex. As the kids got older we walked the beach at night and the north side of the town as well. Perfectly safe!

We are planning on Aquatika in Loiza this year so we can get closer to the airport. We are staying in an ocean front unit. We love our trips to PR. Beautiful rainforest, great beaches and don't miss the forts. Don't go into Old San Juan when the cruise ships are in port or on Sunday morning. (everything but mcdonalds is closed.)

If any one has quality information on Aquatika or Loiza we would love to hear it.

7. Re: considering Loiza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 25, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Loiza