We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huay xai to Luang Prabang

Greenbank
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
Huay xai to Luang Prabang

My husband and I are wanting to travel from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang and stay a couple of nights in Pakbeng on the way. Am I right in thinking that we are able to just buy a ticket on a public boat, hop off in Pakbeng and then buy tickets in Pakbeng to travel on to Luang Prabang? We arrive in Chiang Rai on Saturday afternoon which means we will have missed the 'tourist' boats. We don't mind a bit of adventure (although we are getting on a bit) so the public boat will be ok, but just want to be sure that we can travel as planned. Thanks!

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,731 posts
206 reviews
1. Re: Huay xai to Luang Prabang

Hi,

Yes you can do that quite easily. It's usual on the public boats to buy a ticket to Pak Beng and then another from there to Luang Prabang as you don't necessarily use the same boat all the way.

Don't buy a ticket and accommodation from anyone on the Thai side and don't believe anyone who tells you that all the hotels in Pak Beng will be full, they won't be and you don't need to pay an inflated price to a tout.

Cheers

Greenbank
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Huay xai to Luang Prabang

Thank you so much, that is really helpful and reassuring! Interesting about the touts too, wasn't aware of that.

Thanks heaps!

3. Re: Huay xai to Luang Prabang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, July 02, 2015