We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small Resort on Cayo Largo

Toronto
Level Contributor
224 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Small Resort on Cayo Largo

Looking to book Cayo Largo, looking for a resort with not to much walking, small resort, with good beach and good food. Any thoughts would be great. Husband has slight mobility issues.

Also read a thread about horse flies and deer flies, is this a problem in Cayo Largo?

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,483 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small Resort on Cayo Largo

I think either Pelicano or Playa Blanca would work. Email the resort and tell them your room preferences. Horse flies and deer flies would be a seasonal issue. I haven't been bothered by them, but mosquitoes can definitely be fierce at times.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,303 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Small Resort on Cayo Largo

When do you plan on travelling? The Pelicano is closed for the low season, it will reopen in November.

Toronto
Level Contributor
224 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Small Resort on Cayo Largo

Planning on travelling in October.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Small Resort on Cayo Largo

no steps to get to to beach at Pelicano ,quite a lot at Playa Blanca.

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,483 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Small Resort on Cayo Largo

No steps at Pelicano? Wow, something must have changed since the last time I was there.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Small Resort on Cayo Largo

just a boardwalk next to c.o. section of the beach.

Toronto
Level Contributor
224 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Small Resort on Cayo Largo

Thanks for the information.

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,483 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Small Resort on Cayo Largo

"just a boardwalk next to c.o. section of the beach."

So how do you get down from the height of the dunes? Used to be stairs up to and down from the ranchon, and another set of stairs in front of building 43.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
826 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Small Resort on Cayo Largo

There are steps to get to and from the ranchon at the Pelicano on both resort and beach sides (there is also a ramp for at least part of the way going from the resort to the ranchon); however near the CO section there is a boardwalk that curves up and down over the dune, just a step or two at either end. (I am not familiar with boardwalks to the beach area on the other side of the ranchon.)

I would second the Pelicano for someone with mobility issues. Just have a look at a resort map and email a couple of weeks before leaving requesting a room block that you think will be convenient. They will certainly do all they can to accommodate you, or at least that has been our experience. Feel free to PM me if you want more info on the room blocks near the boardwalk end of the beach.

Edited: 6:08 pm, May 03, 2014
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
826 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Small Resort on Cayo Largo

PS Resort maps for the hotels on Cayo Largo can be found at this site:

http://www.resortsmaps.com/cayolargo.html

and tons of info about the island at cayolargo.net, maintained by the same great people.

Oh, and also the Pelicano buffet restaurant has the best food we've encountered in Cuba so far.

Edited: 6:15 pm, May 03, 2014