We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bell Canada

Ontario
Level Contributor
557 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Bell Canada

Has anyone used their Iphone with Bell Canada as the carrier in Cayo Largo? If so, do I need to contact them first or use certain settings on my iphone? I know I have tried to text from other parts of Cuba and it didn't go through, not sure if it was the area or if Bell Canada just doesn't work. Any info would be appreciated.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
273 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bell Canada

Can only relate my experience - my Bell phone has never worked anywhere in Cuba - but my Rogers phone works everywhere, including Cayo Largo.

RWS

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
7,558 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bell Canada

My Bell iPhone worked fine but I just used it for Texts last year because of the high prices. This year Bell introduced a great package for Cuba with Texts, Calls and Data. $45 for the package.

Ontario
Level Contributor
557 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bell Canada

Hi Spunky, you are correct, spoke to Bell yesterday and I have signed up for their Cuba talk & text plan, $45.00 includes 60 minutes talk time, 200 outgoing texts and unlimited incoming texts and good for one month. I have booked it to start on April 4th and on May 3rd it automatically deletes from my plan. So excited now :) Can stay in touch with the kids

Ottawa
Level Contributor
768 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bell Canada

Bell Mobility will tell you what you want to hear, whether it's factual or not. I opted for the pay per use texting feature which Bell assured me I'd have no problems with. Liars. As per usual for Bell. Had no problem sending texts from Cubacel network, they were received almost instantly but couldn't receive texts until landing back on Canadian ground... got my texts the second I tapped back into the Bell network on the plane.... one whole week later.

Ontario
Level Contributor
557 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bell Canada

RoadMedic, that doesn't sound promising. When were you there?

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bell Canada

I have a Galaxy Note on Bell and have used it in Cayo Largo, Holguin and Santiago. I never bought a package and just paid the 75 cents per text that is charged. Using it to phone home without a package is very expensive --- about $4 a minute and if you use any data without a package that will also cost you big time. I logged on in Costa Rica for two minutes to post one picture a few months ago and it cost me $18. I also have used my Rogers iphone several times in Havana,Jibacoa and all the Cayo's and it is just as expensive as Bell. It has only been within the last two years that either Rogers or Bell even had a Cuba travel package.

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bell Canada

roshell. The $45 package that you bought from Bell is good. Just remember that that package does not include data so if you are checking email or surfing the net make sure you are on wi-fi or you will find a nasty surprise on your bill. For straight texting and phone calls the package you bought will cover you. Turn off data roaming or put it in flight mode.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
768 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bell Canada

roshell: I just returned 3 days ago.

Ontario
Level Contributor
557 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bell Canada

great, thanks for the update, Data roaming is already off. Had that happen in Panama, turned on my phone and I received 150 emails... not good :( I think I will take the sim card out of my ipad and buy internet from hotel for data. hopefully between the two I can get through

Renfrew, Canada
Level Contributor
377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bell Canada

RoadMedic...were you trying to send and/or receive your messages on Imessage with your Iphone? I use my blackberry in Cuba and it's always worked no problem, both sending and receiving, instantly.

I believe that imessage is trying to use your data connection to send and receive, so that could explain why you didn't get your messages.

I'm hoping some Iphone users can confirm or correct?