We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cubana out of YUL---always late departure??

Ottawa
Level Contributor
104 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cubana out of YUL---always late departure??

I've been noticing that the CUB173 direct from YUL is ALWAYS late in departing. Not just a few minutes late, but consistently 1-2hrs late. Does anyone know if this is due to inclement weather, or, if this is intentional?

I say intentional, as I know that after it lands in Cayo Largo, it has to be in Havana for a 6am departure to Cancun, and I'm wondering if its intentional because the longer they delay the departure from YUL, the shorter the turn around from Cayo Largo to Havana.

Can anyone shed some light on their experience on CUB173 and it's consistently late departure?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cubana out of YUL---always late departure??

I have no idea whether it's intentional or not, and I don't entirely understand the supposed benefit, but I don't think it's worth worrying about.

With Canjet and Air Canada flights at more reasonable hours, delays or not I'd make Cubana the carrier of last resort, at least this season. Seems with Cubana you're either landing in the middle of the night or taking off at the crack of dawn.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
104 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cubana out of YUL---always late departure??

Thanks Gold...we're booked mid-march as they were the only airline would allow for the 12 days vacation package. I'm expecting the middle of the night arrival. We've never flown Cubana before, so no idea what to expect... :S

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cubana out of YUL---always late departure??

Well, at least you have a good reason for going with them.

Reviews are all over the place. Some people consider Cubana among the best low-cost/charter carriers. I flew with them last year and found the cleanliness of the plane badly lacking (every surface seemed grey and sticky) and the food below average even for a charter. And the outbound flight departed an hour or two late, FWIW.

On the whole however I did not have any particular concerns about safety, obviously the most important thing. Long gone are the days when they flew rickety old Ilyushins out of Montreal.

Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
462 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cubana out of YUL---always late departure??

will also be flying out of Montreal in the next few weeks to Cayo Largo with Cubana Air flight 173, and was wondering the same thing. I have heard that so many of their flights are delayed. By now DREW2012 you have returned from your trip. How was the flight?? I am ready to read the good, bad and ugly, but hoping that it will all be positive!!! lol

Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
462 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cubana out of YUL---always late departure??

Ok so either the flight was so late that no one has ever returned, or i am just not going to get my answer!!! Lol too bad, was really really hoping that there would be a response..:(

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,305 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cubana out of YUL---always late departure??

A friend of mine has been monitoring this flight over the last few weeks, and it does seem to run late regularly. Not sure why...

A word of caution to anyone returning from Cayo Largo with Cubana: it's been my experience that the flight often takes off way earlier than announced (almost an hour once!), so those who enjoy staying at the resort as long as possible and taking a cab at the very last minute to get to the airport might be in for an unpleasant surprise!

Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
462 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cubana out of YUL---always late departure??

Thank you Cayolargo2 for offering a response. I guess i will just have to wait and see what happens on May 4th. Hoping for the best!! It is unfortunate that those who could offer an answer don't when sent a private message etc. :( thanks again.

8. Re: Cubana out of YUL---always late departure??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 19, 2015