We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sol Cayo Largo, just back yesterday

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Sol Cayo Largo, just back yesterday

What a wonderful hotel. Staff second to none, a beautiful beach, fist rate food. Best of all; after many trips to Cuba being hounded by sand fleas.... not a single sand flea bite. I can't believe my luck. Spent almost every day on the beach without being harassed by the little buggers. An outstanding 2 weeks in Cuba. I will certainly will be returning to this piece of heaven.

Whoever was silly enough to rate this a 3 1/2 star should visit some of the 5 star hotels elsewhere in Cuba, and reconsider.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
102,981 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sol Cayo Largo, just back yesterday

Really pleased that you enjoyed your time at the Sol and that you will be returning sometime in the future.

Mentioned in this post
Sol Cayo Largo
Sol Cayo Largo
4,681 Reviews
Cuba
Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sol Cayo Largo, just back yesterday

Thanks, bellagio. The sand flea thing is a real mystery to me. Usually i spend a couple of nights in misery but not this time. Followed my usual routine, nothing different, to my knowledge. My best guess is the wind keeps the little devils on the ground or the beach is too wide for them to find a comfortable place to live. There was very little seaweed, but I didnt see them cleaning it or any evidence that they did. The beach didnt seem to need it.

Fogging was a little different tho. Not only did they spray in the usual way, they did a crop dusting type of thing with an old biplane. Maybe they dusted the beach as well.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,352 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sol Cayo Largo, just back yesterday

So glad you enjoyed CL! Looks like you fell under the spell of this unique little island!

Were the repairs to the pool completed by the time you left, or were they still waiting for the new lining to be delivered?

Edited: 7:32 am, May 27, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sol Cayo Largo, just back yesterday

In the early morning, before sunrise, the clean up crew on the beach digs holes in the sand and buries the seaweed. Seemed like an ingenious way of disposing of it, rather than making a big pile of it somewhere.

And by the way, how is the relining of the pool going?

Edited: 8:03 am, May 27, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sol Cayo Largo, just back yesterday

The far end of the pool looked newly finished, but no liner and no water. There didnt appear to many guests using the pool. Most seemed to be on the beach. It was quite windy on the beach and the breakers were guite high, which I very much enjoyed. There seemed to be a lot lined up for buses to the other beaches every morning.. I didnt once have a problem getting a palapas ( spelling ?) and rarely went before 2pm. I didnt see any evidence of people saving loungers indesrimatley.

The bartenders and buffet staff particularly impressed me although all staff were top notch. When it was busy the bartenders would take 3 or 4 orders and make the drinks all at once. They kept the bar moving very fast. After our first meal at the buffet the waitress would prepare our table as we came through the door and have our drinks on the table before we sat down. I was very impressed with her.

You are right Cayolargo2, i am sold on this hotel, hook line and sinker. But lets keep it between us, OK ? If anybody else discovers this place we may not be able to get a room.

Vaudreuil-Dorion...
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sol Cayo Largo, just back yesterday

Thank you very much. I just booked for this hotel from June 14-21. I am going solo, it will be my first time in Cayo Largo, I went 10 times to Cuba in all. Mostly by myself. Hope I will enjoy. The way you speak about it I should be pleased. If you want to let me know anything feel free.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,352 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sol Cayo Largo, just back yesterday

Caroline: hope you enjoy CL!

Have you seen this site: www.cayolargo.net ?

Make sure you bring mosquito repellent and afterbite treatment, just in case. Also, the buffet at the Sol CL is open air, so it can get quite hot during dinner - just a heads up!

CL is a great place to go solo - no one will bug you, but if you want to meet people, participating in animation activities is a good way to do that.

CL is very different than any other destination in Cuba, that's for sure - great place for true R&R!

I hope you'll come back to tell us all about it when you return.

Have a great trip!

Edited: 12:11 pm, May 29, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Sol Cayo Largo
Sol Cayo Largo
4,681 Reviews
Cuba
Vaudreuil-Dorion...
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sol Cayo Largo, just back yesterday

Thank you! It is nice to hear your comments.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sol Cayo Largo, just back yesterday

Hi folks; we've booked Cayo Largo (Playa Blanca) for July 22nd-29th. I haven't been to Cayo Largo since 1990 and my partner has never been. I know hurricane Michelle changed things quite a bit and the beach may be poor in front of the hotel. We are also scuba divers, so our plan was to dive in the morning and then try to get to a decent beach for the afternoons. Does anybody know whether you can do that directly from the marina or do you have to go back to the hotels and get the train or a bus from there? If so, when are the bus times? Does anybody know when the bus picks you up to take you to the marina for diving and whether there are regular buses from there back to the hotels or are they just at set times? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,093 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sol Cayo Largo, just back yesterday

Theresa and Brad, your answers are on your other post. Have a great trip.