We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Playa Blanca..

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Playa Blanca..

just a quick question to anyone who has stayed at this hotel, it appears to me that the "gran caribe cayo largo hotel" and the "hotel playa blanca" are the same hotel??

My wife and I are thinking of booking the hotel playa blanca, having not been to this tiny island off of cuba, and staying there for a week seems applealing to us..we have been to cuba 6 times previouslly and have enjoyed all the resorts we have visisted, the cuban people and there hospitality by far are the best part that all of our vacations are remembered for. Great people, best in caribbean, any thoughts added to this post about the island of cayo largo??

still thinking about the hotel playa blanca, can get this for just under 1000.00 taxes incl...each..

maybe holguin again or the hideaway in santa clara, but we like the idea of the 10 min bus to and from the airport...

thx..

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Playa Blanca..

I think you are thinking of two different resorts. Take a look at this thread

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g737152-i12461-k33…

I, too, thought they were one in the same.

There are 3 larger all-inclusive resorts in Cayo Largo. The Gran Caribe Playa Blanca (formerly Barcelo), the Sol Pelicano and the Sol Cayo Largo.

There is lots of really good recent info here about Cayo Largo and good reviews, positive and negative. And they are pretty accurate in both counts.

When are you thinking of going?

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
10,687 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Playa Blanca..

Hi, The Gran Caribe Cayo Largo and the Gran Caribe Playa Blanca are different resorts.

Tons more info here too:

http://www.cayolargo.net/

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,594 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Playa Blanca..

Hi Spunky. On that site, witch hotel is the Grand Caribe Cayo Largo

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Playa Blanca..

I think it's either the Villa Coral or the Villa Soledad. Could be the Lindamar, though. LOL!

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,594 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Playa Blanca..

If it's the Lindamar, I'll book tomorrow! Love that place. When we were there, it was just for the Italianos.

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,639 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Playa Blanca..

Grand Caribe Cayo Largo from Canada will be Villa Coral or Villa Soledad. You may be housed in either (Soledad is accommodation only, you walk over to Coral for meals, pool, etc.) Lindemar and Isla del Sur appear to be marketed only to Italians. You do get the use of the Ranchon at Lindemar for lunch and a la carte dining, and you check in at Isla del Sur and can use their bars as well. I have posted a review for my January trip to Villa Coral.

Grand Caribe Playa Blanca is the former Barcelo.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
10,687 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Playa Blanca..

From cayolargo.net re the different smaller GC offerings:

"The Canadian tour operators only offer the Gran Caribe Resort which includes Villa Soledad and Villa Coral only. Note there is no service at Villa Soledad (rooms only). Villa Coral has a swimming pool, a buffet restaurant and an exterior entertainment center for night shows (since 2005)"

Edited: 8:35 am, March 09, 2010
toronto
Level Contributor
289 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Playa Blanca..

If you've stayed at the Royal Hideaway and are accustomed to those sort of accommodations I wouldn't recommend the Grand Caribe.

I would suggest the Playa Blanca and the Sol CL for a 3-4 star Cuba rating.

All the beaches on CL far surpass Santa Maria, Holquin etc....

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
10,687 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Playa Blanca..

We are at the Hotel Playa Blanca right now.

The facility is as nice as the Marina Palace in Varadero but there's hardly any bugs. Maintenance is ongoing.

Staff is fantastic and the whole resort is going through a rebirth.

Best beach on the planet. Weather has been perfect.

I'll post a review on return but you won't be sorry comming here.

clinton,on
Level Contributor
672 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Playa Blanca..

We have stayed at the Playa Blanca and the RHE. We really liked both places-the beahces in CL are just like the RHE only they go on for miles and miles. It is nice being closer to the airport. We were going to go again this yr but we didn't like the flight times--You lose almost 2 days. We have chosen to go to Melia in Santa Clara . We have also stayed at the Sol in CL and that is a great spot too.