We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Caribe Cayo Largo.....Need info PLEASE!!

Montreal
Level Contributor
41 posts
Gran Caribe Cayo Largo.....Need info PLEASE!!

My boyfriend and I are looking seriously into Cayo Largo for 2 weeks at the end of March......This hotel Gran Caribe Cayo Largo is $600.00 cheaper for the both of us compared to Cayo Blanco......I know it's rated a 2 1`2 or 3 star hotel........is it worth saving 600.00$$$$$ Is the beach the same as the other hotels or faraway and in a marina or something...........PLEASE ADVISE......$600.00 is a big difference!!!!!

Also the beaches are very important for us.....is Cayo Largo beaches more beautiful then let's say Guardalavaca Holguin....we were in HOlguin last year but stayed at the Turquesa Hotel...beaches there were not to bad but not EXCEPTIONAL........

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
1 review
1. Re: Gran Caribe Cayo Largo.....Need info PLEASE!!

Not having been the the Gran Caribe Playa Blanca, I don't think you can go wrong with choosing it. it seems to be getting some decent reviews and, afterall, it is still Cayo Largo. All the "negative" issues folks report about is about right for all the resorts in CL. And all the "positive" comments hold true for all the resorts as well.

Cayo Largo itself is not a huge island. The resorts pretty much share the same beach, but the beach comes and goes. One year, the Gran Caribe (used to be the Barcelo) had the "best" beach in front of the resort. A couple of times we had the "best" beach at the Sol, some years the Sol CL had the worst beach and the Pelicano is about the only one that's kind of remained the constant with the "best" beach.

Playas Sirenas and Paraiso are always constantly good beaches.

As for the "best" resort? We prefer the Sol CL and friends we met last year had stayed one year at the Gran Caribe (Barcelo) and preferred the Sol.

Now, have I confused you more? LOL!

As for the prices of the Sol right now - we booked the Sol back in October for our April trip and got, it at a price we were happy with. I don't think we would pay what they are now asking for it, which is over $1200.00 pp for a week.

And saving $600.00? That money could be put towards your next trip to Cayo Largo!

toronto
Level Contributor
42 posts
2. Re: Gran Caribe Cayo Largo.....Need info PLEASE!!

Hello Eve and Shirley,

Shirley, I believe the hotel Eve is talking about is not the former Barcelo (now the Gran Caribe Playa Blanca), but the group of resorts most of the Canadian tour operators are referring to as Gran Caribe Cayo Largo. From what I have read, Canadian tourists are lodged in either Gran Caribe Villa Coral or Gran Caribe Soledad (the other two lodging strictly Italian tourists).

Eve, there is not much info on these resorts, but I booked it anyway for March break. It was MUCH cheaper than any other resort (especially for me since there was no single supplement) It has since sold out.

I have read some stuff on cayolargo.net and have heard from people who have either stayed there or seen it. From what I have been told, most people are happy with the resort, even most being ok with the food. In fact, if you read the italian reviews on TA, most have said they like the food. I believe the big difference with these hotels seems to be that they are rather simple. Accomodations very basic, not many amenities (Soledad has no poo or restaurant, you use the facilities at the Coral), and they do not have the lush lanscaping that other resorts may have. Pretty much everyone says they are both very clean. One person told me that the beach in front of the resort was in very good shape earlier this year. I, personally, cannot wait to see Playa Sirena, it looks out of this world. I too am a beach person.

For myself, especially going alone, I decided that spartan accomodations and few ameneties were a worthwhile compromise for the great price and fantastic beaches.

Good luck with your choice! From the way most beach people talk about Cayo Largo, I'm sure you will have a great time.

All the best.

Owen Sound, Ontario
Level Contributor
105 posts
3. Re: Gran Caribe Cayo Largo.....Need info PLEASE!!

We just last week came back from the Gran Caribe Playa Blanca and had a great holiday. But your question is for the Gran Caribe Cayo Largo which is a completely different hotel. Beach at the Blanca was OK, a little wavy, good for body surfing. Lots of beach for long walks. Went to Playa Sirenas for the day the last 3 days and it was beautiful and very relaxing with lots of palapas to sit under. I think all hotels offer a free shuttle to these beaches but you cannot go wrong with a $2 peso each person taxi ride. I would recommend the Playa Blanca. Did a search for the Gran Caribe Cayo Largo and have not come up with much info at all.

Montreal
Level Contributor
41 posts
4. Re: Gran Caribe Cayo Largo.....Need info PLEASE!!

Hi..thanks for your post.....It's NOT the gran caribe cayo BLANCA hotel I was talking about....it's the Gran Caribe Cayo Largo hotel I was inquiring about............lol

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
1 review
5. Re: Gran Caribe Cayo Largo.....Need info PLEASE!!

Oh, excuse me for not reading the 'fine print'! LOL! Glad to see you got some great answers to your questions.

So maybe someone can answer this question.

If you stay at one of the Gran Caribe hotels on the island, are there any exchange privileges at the others?

2 weeks is a long time on Cayo Largo - we love the place. Good thing you are doing your research.

Owen Sound, Ontario
Level Contributor
105 posts
6. Re: Gran Caribe Cayo Largo.....Need info PLEASE!!

My guess is the Gran Caribe Cayo Largo is the Gran Caribe Villa Coral and the Villa Soledad. Check out these two resorts on tripadvisor. We also were interested in the same resort last month but could not figure out the info on the resort at that time. Looks like it would be ideal for a place to hang your hat when your spend all day at Playa Sirena or Playa Paraiso.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g737152-d143867…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g737152-d148703…

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
1 review
7. Re: Gran Caribe Cayo Largo.....Need info PLEASE!!

I know of someone who is there right now and she will be writing a trip report when she gets back. She would be more than happy to answer all your questions.

Montreal
Level Contributor
41 posts
8. Re: Gran Caribe Cayo Largo.....Need info PLEASE!!

thanks shirley.............I will wait for her review on the hotel......appreciate it

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,711 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Gran Caribe Cayo Largo.....Need info PLEASE!!

Shirley, does eeeefarm post here? I just saw her photos. ..Nice!

10. Re: Gran Caribe Cayo Largo.....Need info PLEASE!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 09, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Cayo Largo
Recent Conversations